Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 75

Thread: Ice Cream Vans

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    295

    Default Re: Ice Cream Vans

    Wish I could remember the name of the guy who came round with ours.The van was as old as the hills too,you went in the back to get served.I don't think it came from either of the cafes close to us either.We had Johnnys(he was Polish!) near my gran who did a mean Knickerboker glory and The Firpark cafe ran by Mrs Cummings who was 150 even then!She must have married a Scotsman though cos she was as Italian as got out.They had a secret recipe which I think died with her,or at least her daughter new it,but it wasn't passed on to new owners.This was the BEST ice cream ever,they did great ice cream floats with cola or American cream soda.

    Johnny's shop got knocked down,but even into the late 80's the Fir Park cafe never changed,it was ancient!!!

    Interesting to note both cafes had their resident cats,which usually lay on top of the ancient fridge where the ice lollies were kept!

    tulip

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stockport
    Posts
    5,199

    Default Re: Ice Cream Vans

    There's one ice cream van in the Stockport area which plays a certain tune (not sure what it is, sounds a bit like the Archers, but not bang on), I used to hear it all the time when I lived in Marple, & even now I've moved into Stockport I can hear it occasionally.

    There were 2 Ice Cream companies Granelli's of Cheadle (don't know if they are still around) & Sivori's, who I think are still going.

    As well as operating vans, Sivori's also sold ice cream in shops. My Mum probably has some old tubs from both companies around the house.

    Not really about Ice Cream, but this is a good set of photos of a closed but left intact old school cafe run by an Italian family:
    Savoy Cafe - a set on Flickr
    The Trickster On The Roof

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: Ice Cream Vans

    There was a icey, ran by ne'erdowells years ago that alongside his frozen treats also sold cans of Carling Black Label and loose Benson & Hedges.

    He never asked for ID, not like the papershop.

    I've only just kicked the smoking habit earlier this year, 20 years later!
    Quick... Run... Hide... Here comes Dave Stewart, walking up the drive, with that look in his eye!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stockport
    Posts
    5,199

    Default Re: Ice Cream Vans

    Quote Originally Posted by glam_racket View Post
    There was a icey, ran by ne'erdowells years ago that alongside his frozen treats also sold cans of Carling Black Label and loose Benson & Hedges.

    He never asked for ID, not like the papershop.

    I've only just kicked the smoking habit earlier this year, 20 years later!
    When at secondary school there was supposed to be a local newsagent which sold single cigarettes under the counter for 20p (when a packet of 20 was less than 4!), if you knew who to ask.

    As I've never been interesting in smoking I never found which one.
    The Trickster On The Roof

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    315

    Default Re: Ice Cream Vans

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    When at secondary school there was supposed to be a local newsagent which sold single cigarettes under the counter for 20p (when a packet of 20 was less than 4!), if you knew who to ask.

    As I've never been interesting in smoking I never found which one.
    We used to buy a ciggie and a match for 6p from our local sweet shop, lol.

    Sorry for the off-topic.

    Our local ice cream man was called Cherry's - his stuff was always inferior to the Mr Whippy but I hear the business is still going strong today so he must have got something right.
    Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    426

    Default Re: Ice Cream Vans


  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    692

    Default Re: Ice Cream Vans

    Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Wish I could remember the name of the guy who came round with ours.The van was as old as the hills too,you went in the back to get served.I don't think it came from either of the cafes close to us either.We had Johnnys(he was Polish!) near my gran who did a mean Knickerboker glory and The Firpark cafe ran by Mrs Cummings who was 150 even then!She must have married a Scotsman though cos she was as Italian as got out.They had a secret recipe which I think died with her,or at least her daughter new it,but it wasn't passed on to new owners.This was the BEST ice cream ever,they did great ice cream floats with cola or American cream soda.

    Johnny's shop got knocked down,but even into the late 80's the Fir Park cafe never changed,it was ancient!!!

    Interesting to note both cafes had their resident cats,which usually lay on top of the ancient fridge where the ice lollies were kept!

    tulip
    My dad was an ice cream man for a while.I remember he picked me up from school one day in his van and i was serving all the kids.My dad had been told by a friend and workmate that he was going to be sacked so it was cheap ice cream for all

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    co armagh n/ireland
    Posts
    14,278

    Default Re: Ice Cream Vans

    wow what a thread.

    i remember very well as a kid hearing the ice cream van coming to our street.
    i said mummy mummy give me the money for an ice cream.

    me and the other kids did not get long to get to him as he would not wait long.

    every time he came it was a mad rush to get to the ice cream van.

    there was always a big queue of kids,in fact i think the adults where the real kids.

    i do not live in the part of the town where the ice cream van goes but i still hear it.
    in fact i think there is just one in my town now although iim not certain 1 hundred per cent.

    my fAVE WAS PROBABLY the biggest cones with flakes in them.
    Last edited by darren; 11-07-2012 at 19:37.

  9. #29
    sf1378 Guest

    Default Re: Ice Cream Vans

    Klop - that icecream man with his flies down and no undies sounded like a paedo!

    I can't remember the ones we had when I were a lad but they usually played Greensleeves - I expect they were Mr Whippy ones as I adored and still do love the whippy style white creamy ice creams in a cone...I can also remember how kids went mad back then for ice cream from the vans, everyone on here probably remembers that classic Tufty ad where Willy Weasel gets knocked down for running from out behind parked cars just to get his ice cream! So the image on the back of the vans (usually Bedford's or Transits back then) was all the more important to me - I still look at them when I see one out of the blue and smile remembering bygone childhood...

    I also vividly recall the van turning up across the street when I was about 4 and my Mum said 'You like (an) ice cream?' I said yes, and then Mum being Mum decided to put on some Astral facial moisturiser, a nice cardigan, some red lippy AND then we FINALLY left the house, quarter of the way across the street and yes, you've all guessed it, Mr Whippy was pulling out and off.... I find it rather funny now looking back, my Mum never left the house looking her best...bless...

    It was also a wonderful, balmy summers evening at that...I remember she told Dad and he felt sorry for me that I didn't get one...he may have got a tub of Lyons Maid yellowy ice cream I think to make up for it...and some cones...lol...

    You just don't see many around my way these days, and when you do, its usually on dull, dreary, cold winters days! I remember a van used to come literally down my road where I am now back in 87 - to the 90s and early 2000's say, different vans mind, and apparently he told my Mum the other guy had 'words' with him as he was coming onto 'his patch' so one of the guys stopped coming....anyhow, Ice Cream Vans to me really symbolise the perfect simplicity of childhood joy our generations had - kids could even run down the street alone and come home safe with ice creams, now your kid would 'probably end up in a dead in a ditch in Scotland or by the Motorway as my parents would say!' by the next day thanks to the way societies turned out...shame that.

    I do buy a Whippy ice cream in a cone, sometimes with a Flake on hot days from a tiny kiosk next to BHS on my high street, 1.30 with Flake, 1.20 without depending on the mood...lush.

    Incidentally, I can ACTUALLY hear an Ice Cream Van just now! Damn! No cash on me! I'm not kidding - spooky that. It was playing 'Teddy Bears Picnic'....lol, another favourite tune from the vans...Also, wonder why they call then '99's'? Italian pasta makers used numbers as a way of coding which shape of pasta mold to make certain pastas i.e. Conchigle, Penne, Spagetti, so given the Italians were also selling Pasta they used the number coding to denote the larger '99' ice cream...not a lot of people know that!
    Last edited by sf1378; 11-07-2012 at 19:52.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stockport
    Posts
    5,199

    Default Re: Ice Cream Vans

    I get a few ice cream vans near me, even though it's not really a residential area.

    Sometimes I've heard the chimes quite late at night, & sometimes in weather that isn't really the best to put you in the mood for an ice cream.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Similar Threads

  1. ice cream dolls
    By crazymae81 in forum Toys
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-01-2015, 20:07
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 08:58
  3. Ice cream in bowls?
    By Seventies Child in forum Food and drink
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-03-2011, 21:04
  4. Ice-cream topping
    By lazlowoodbine in forum Food and drink
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 19-09-2008, 23:05
  5. Ice Cream Doll???
    By Heather74 in forum Toys
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 27-05-2007, 01:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •