Ice Cream Vans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ice Cream Vans

The other day I laughed when I saw an ice cream van with the very demanding 'Buy That Child An Ice Cream!' written on the back rather that the traditional 'Mind that child'. Evidently cold hard cash means more to that ice cream man than child safety these days!
    1976 Vintage

Comment

when i was little our main ice cream van that came round was owned by a company called Cargill's, the vans were a cream colour in the middle and a mint green colour on the top, with a picture of a big lion holding an ice cream cone, it also had standard steel wheels painted red. the tune it played was Greensleeves, i usually bought a 10p mixture from the van, those were the days lol. i remember they used to also sell milk and cigarettes, this was back in the 80s.

Comment

The ice cream van that comes around our street on weekends plays Greensleeves and its so loud

Comment

Still there is one ice cream van which passes my house every day at 2 PM. It's green and white color.

Comment

lol i love this one so funny i can watch tha dvd over and over so funny

Originally posted by the fox View Post
            Have you guys seen Eddie murphy's ice cream van sketch from his legendary 1983 stand up show 'delirious' ? If not (and if you can tolerate the bad language), look it up on YouTube. He sums it all up so perfectly.
            THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

We have a park near us where we walk the dog and there is usually an Ice cream van near the play area. This is the greatest Ice cream van ever as it has an ice cream machine that adds 5 different flavour sauces as it puts the ice cream in the cone.

I believe this could be one of the greatest inventions ever and whoever thought of it deserves a Nobel Prize

My wife thinks that I am over reacting and a bit strange but that is because she is 40 and im still 8

I will try to find a picture
              Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

We used to have a regular ice cream van coming around called Brian's. He came around for years. He saw off all the competition, has his ice cream was very nice and reasonably priced. He would also be outside the comprehensive school during dinner hour and at the end of school day. He would then do his rounds from 4pm onwards. I think he done a roaring trade. His son took over for a while, then sold the van when he went onto other work. Summer days have never been the same since!!!!!!!:cry:

When I was around four or five years old, there was a regular ice cream van coming around the street where my grandmother lived. The ice cream was very nice, BUT, there was always the smell of petrol around the van. I can't remember the name of this van, but there was always a large queue. Perhaps the smell of petrol had something to do with it. For years after, whenever I could smell petrol, I would think of this ice cream van.
                Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Heard an ice cream man just a day or two ago....and the tune....surprised me, .....but it was 'teddy bears picnic' - I immediately thought of this thread ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mc View Post
                    We have a park near us where we walk the dog and there is usually an Ice cream van near the play area. This is the greatest Ice cream van ever as it has an ice cream machine that adds 5 different flavour sauces as it puts the ice cream in the cone.

I believe this could be one of the greatest inventions ever and whoever thought of it deserves a Nobel Prize

My wife thinks that I am over reacting and a bit strange but that is because she is 40 and im still 8

I will try to find a picture
                    Its similar to this ....

Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

Wow I'm impressed! It means you get sauce evenly distributed over the whole cone and some on every lick. Ingenious! What are the five flavours? Back in the day I thought our ice cream van was swish as it had three sauces - the usual red, chocolate and a green one not unlike the photo.
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

Good lad stay about 8 growing up is overrated.:d

5 different flavours wow i can only remember myself ever seeing 2 flavours strawberry and chocolate.
                        Or perhaps strawberry was rasberry.

Funny enough i saw an ice cream van a few nights ago not saw one in a long time.
                        Nice to see some old things from our youth are still around even if they arent seen as much.

Originally posted by jay mc View Post
                        we have a park near us where we walk the dog and there is usually an ice cream van near the play area. This is the greatest ice cream van ever as it has an ice cream machine that adds 5 different flavour sauces as it puts the ice cream in the cone.

I believe this could be one of the greatest inventions ever and whoever thought of it deserves a nobel prize

my wife thinks that i am over reacting and a bit strange but that is because she is 40 and im still 8

i will try to find a picture
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Must... have... ice... creammm.........
                          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

The regular ice cream van that I used to see around where I used to live in Brimington & Staveley is a 53 plate Ford Transit in pink & white Tonibell livery but it plays the classic Mister Softee UK jingle. We don't have mobile ice cream vans (the ones that play music) in Brampton (Chesterfield) but I live just round the corner from Frederick's so I still see ice cream vans regularly.

Comment

I used to like fudgeridoos, but I've not seen any in over three decades. I'd love to try them again. Do they still do them?

Comment

The ice cream van was a regular occurrence outside my old Infant school, usually on Friday afternoons - I bet that it was rather controversial considering that parents would be assuming that: A) It would be their treat for attending school that day; and B) Having an ice cream at 3.15 pm in the afternoon would spoil their tea when they get home.

At home I used to see (and more prominently hear) the ice cream van arriving on our street on Sunday afternoons - I was a 99 person obviously when they were around 50p circa 1988. The chimes were probably heard at least a mile away and certainly half the area could hear them.

What I don't understand is the fact that they go touting for business at other times of the year than when one would eat ice cream - a few years ago, there was a van parked near Exchange Walk in Nottingham City Centre in the middle of December, and people doing their Christmas shopping were actually queueing to ordering ice creams and all that when we were close to getting snow than a heatwave - I mean, if you are cold, then one would need something warm rather than something that is just as cold, although the irony is that the ice cream wouldn't have any reason to have melted.

Last Sunday there was an ice cream van that stopped outside the building that I live in at 11.30 am in the morning! When most people were putting roast beef into the oven in preparation for the Sunday lunch, someone outside wanted us to skip the main course before midday and move onto the desert straight away! I hadn't even had breakfast when they had arrived!
                                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X