Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

I nearly missed a year -I was promoted by a year, twice in succession, but the local schools wouldn't take kids early so I spent two years in the last class...
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

The year group a student is in at school in England and Wales depends on which side of 1st September their birthday falls. I am vaguely aware that in decades gone by that some LEAs used 1st August instead so students with an August birthday were a year behind at what they should have been at school. It also meant that they could (in theory) pass their driving test before their O Level results were announced. I think this missing a year at primary was students with August birthdays being moved up to the correct year group.

The year group system only officially came into use in September 1990. In the absence of a standard year group system before then I suspect that there was the potential to move primary school kids to different classes to give an impression that they are ahead or behind the year group that they are supposed to be in.

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
        I nearly missed a year -I was promoted by a year, twice in succession, but the local schools wouldn't take kids early so I spent two years in the last class...
        i ahd heard this had happened to others but unless I delved into Fcaebook (no thanks lol) and unless I knew the people affected - these are the only way's i could find out, but yeah I do keep hearing this happened and keep having faint re-collections of it hapening to Kids say 2 Years my Senior

80sChav

Comment

I missed out on a year of secondary school...i was always out the gates after registration, it was like the great escape i turned out alright however, never been arrested and never been out of work
          Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I didn't miss a year of school as such but I missed the final six weeks of Year 5 due to being in hospital for a scheduled operation (cf the Hospital thread), and the final couple of months of Year 11 because I was at the end of my tether with people getting away with doing things to me (cf my 25 Years since leaving school thread).
            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
            X