Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

Default Re: Anyone else miss out on a year of primary school?

I missed class 4 when I was at school. There were 4 of us that skipped over class 4 from class 3 and went right into class 5, we spent the remaining of our time there until we moved onto high school at aged 11. I never understood the reasoning behind this. When the older kids left to go to high school and I was one of the oldest lads in the class, again there were a few kids that were brought up into class 5 that were considered to be a year below us.

It was super annoying because all my friends that I was really close to went into class 4 when I went into class 5. Then when the older kids went on to pastures new I lost a load of friends because I had gotten used to them. Going into class 5 was a major shock for the class 4 kids, as it was from me going from class 3 as it was the first time anyone in the school was given mandatory homework in preparation for going to the big school. I sort of got used to it by the time class 4 had graduated into my class, but for a lot of the pupils it was a hard hit and I recall a lot of tellings off for a lot of people not doing homework on time.

My mum's birthday is in early september, & managed to start school a year early.

She was put back a year for the 11 plus though.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I missed class 4 when I was at school. There were 4 of us that skipped over class 4 from class 3 and went right into class 5, we spent the remaining of our time there until we moved onto high school at aged 11. I never understood the reasoning behind this. When the older kids left to go to high school and I was one of the oldest lads in the class, again there were a few kids that were brought up into class 5 that were considered to be a year below us.

It was super annoying because all my friends that I was really close to went into class 4 when I went into class 5. Then when the older kids went on to pastures new I lost a load of friends because I had gotten used to them. Going into class 5 was a major shock for the class 4 kids, as it was from me going from class 3 as it was the first time anyone in the school was given mandatory homework in preparation for going to the big school. I sort of got used to it by the time class 4 had graduated into my class, but for a lot of the pupils it was a hard hit and I recall a lot of tellings off for a lot of people not doing homework on time.
    did you not keep in contact with those friends you lost when they went to class 4 and u to class 5 sly.
    i mean do you still be in contact with any.

understandible if u lost them becayse you did not get on.

It was hard to stay friends with the people in class 4 because we only saw each other at play time. I maybe saw them an hour each day, which when you compare it to the 5 or so hours I was spending with the other friends just meant that the friendships waned a little.

When I went to high school I was the only lad out of my school to be in my form. There was a girl I went to infant school with but I never really had anything to do with her. I and the lass were the only people from my district in my form compared to the the other kids who had groups of 3 or 4 people from the schools they came from.

It was hard to stay friends with the people in class 4 because we only saw each other at play time. I maybe saw them an hour each day, which when you compare it to the 5 or so hours I was spending with the other friends just meant that the friendships waned a little.

When I went to high school I was the only lad out of my school to be in my form. There was a girl I went to infant school with but I never really had anything to do with her. I and the lass were the only people from my district in my form compared to the the other kids who had groups of 3 or 4 people from the schools they came from.
    That must've been hard for you mate .... sorry about that. I'd of hated that to happen to me.

It wasn't so bad. I make friends quickly, being an only child sort of necessitates that sort of quality in a person.

It wasn't so bad. I make friends quickly, being an only child sort of necessitates that sort of quality in a person.

I wish I could say all this about me ... being an only child too! Sadly i can't. Though I do remember getting distinctly jelous of the 5th Years in Primary "moving on" as it was to big School!

This is a long shot 6 years on, but is "Guest" "systemaddict" still a member here please? I'd like to contact you regarding your missed school year if possible please.
    Could you reply here or send me a message?
    Many thanks

It never happened to me or friends (but I recall around 1986/87) before my Final year at primary a Year or 2 Years in Year 6 got "fast-tracked" to Secxondary (though this descrepency was only becvause of a 6 Month age difference in question) between Year 6 and Year 7!!

80sChav
    Last edited by 80sChav; 23-09-2017 at 14:44.

Though we have not always seen eye to eye Sly - this would have been my worst nightmare come true in experiencing this

Though i recall it happening along similar lines as you describe (but date-wise I am unsure of the date people's Birthday's) had to fall for this to occur

80sChav