X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Free Binder with Issue One!

Originally posted by Hillman View Post
    WARPLANE!!!

Nice pullout centre section every 2 weeks that used as wall paper for a few years much to my parents dispare!
    My brother used to get one called War Machine in the 1980s. I was more interested in my step dad's Home Computer Course magazine collection

Comment

Originally posted by jason h View Post
      We all know that the partwork magazines are a bit of a con - "This collection builds into a wonderful library of...." Yada yada.

I have a couple of them now from the 80s that I've since purchased, 'INPUT' and 'The Unexplained'. Both of them are a great read.

Anyone else hang onto theirs and went to the newsagents every Saturday to collect? I could never get into collecting them myself but I really remember the ads on TV.
      I remember INPUT. spent many an hour trying to programme my dragon 32.Never worked though lol.Cant remember when it first come out,but i recal it being re-released,so i ended up with two of the first copy

Comment

I'm interested in this one called 'The Unexplained'. I used to collect a magazine series in the 80s about unexplained phenomena, but it was called something different. I think it was 'X Factor'; if not, it was certainly 'X' something. Quite a way into the collection, I got board with it but carried on buying simply for completion's sake. Sold the collection for a few pounds many years later.

Somebody gave my the first issue of the Mind Body Spirit one. It came with a rather excellent decorated storage box, which I still have. Didn't collect the series though.

Comment

Collected the 'Joy of Knowledge' and 'World War II' magazines, had to order them from the newsagent to make sure I got them all and it still didn't work, missed the last 10 or so issues of World War II magazine!

Currently subscribe to 'Real Life Bugs' and 'Combat Tank Collection' for the things that come with them, not the actual magazines.

My brothers and I worked out the price of the Fokker Triplane that you could build in weekly instalments at over £500, the actual model kit it was copied from, although rare, could be bought for less than this in one go!!

Comment

I remember the War Machines one. I think collected some of those, but there was another that I did collect called War In Peace, I think, all about little brush wars and mercenaries and such. Then Combat and Survival came out and I collected that for a long time. Hey, I was an army cadet. I loved that stuff back in the day.

There is one I collected all the way to the end, though, which was The Oxford Illustrated Dictionary. It started in 1977, I think, and finished in about 1981, and came in 2 volumes. My Mum still has them, actually. So yes, I did actually read the dictionary when I was a kid. Wow. What a saddo I was.
            Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

Warplane was a good magazine, with a lot of detail.

As for the more recent DVD ones, I've noticed at least two that got restarted within six months, which is disgusting.

Comment

I collected INPUT when that was out but never really read it. I'm currently collecting the Marvel figurines collection and the James Bond cars. Never again. I telephoned both companies to ask how many issues would be published before I subscribed. I was told around 80 for the Marvel and 40 for the Bond. We are now approaching 100 with Marvel and a lot of the characters coming out now i've never heard of. The latest is Impossibleman. The Bond cars are now approaching 60 issues which are now blink and you'll miss it as Bond walks past x car in the street.
                "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I collected INPUT when that was out but never really read it. I'm currently collecting the Marvel figurines collection and the James Bond cars. Never again. I telephoned both companies to ask how many issues would be published before I subscribed. I was told around 80 for the Marvel and 40 for the Bond. We are now approaching 100 with Marvel and a lot of the characters coming out now i've never heard of. The latest is Impossibleman. The Bond cars are now approaching 60 issues which are now blink and you'll miss it as Bond walks past x car in the street.
                  Going back to when I worked at WHSmiths, I had a customer who put down an order to recieve a copy of The Lord of The Rings model collection every two weeks. The format was pretty simple, a thin magazine and a tacky-looking model of a character from the LOTR movies. This magazine went on and on to the point where its run was constantly being extended and it seemed that they were including characters from LOTR who were most likely just background characters if that. I got the impression that they had people watching the LOTR trilogy and seeing who they could spot in the background so they could squeeze out a model and magazine for the next issue. I'm pretty sure this particular collection was still going on by the time I left to go and work somewhere else, I wouldn't be surprised if its still going today!

Comment

The James Bond one in particular sounds poor - least they could do is switch to other vehicles, unless they have - the jetski from Spy Who Loved Me, the little golf carts from Moonraker. Half a Renault...

Comment

Originally posted by Derekflint View Post
                      The James Bond one in particular sounds poor - least they could do is switch to other vehicles, unless they have - the jetski from Spy Who Loved Me, the little golf carts from Moonraker. Half a Renault...
                      The half a renault was one of the extras that you get for subscribing along with the tank from Goldeneye and Little Nelly.The two latest are the Toyota crown (gets picked up by a helicopter and dropped in a river) and the Ford Fairlane from Thunderball. Now i've seen all the bond movies many times and clearly recall the Toyota but the Ford Fairlane doesn't instantly spring to mind. I'll have to watch Thunderball again.
                      "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I can honestly say that I think the Spy Who Loved Me Lotus, as in the actual car, would be better value for money, even if it hits the expected 100-120,000.

And with no due respect to the publisher, an issue on Little Nelly or how they did the half Renault would be more interesting than either the Crown or Fairlane.

Comment

I'd love to know if there are any classical pianists out there who wouldn't be where they are today if it wasn't for the 'Play it Today' 1354 part series of books and tapes (I made it to issue 2)
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

In the late 80s I had 2 Partworks on the go!

MEDIQUEST - I was always interested in the human body and ailments. And must admit I have found it useful, but it cost £100 and you can find all the info you need on the PC now, modern and revised info too!

TAKE OFF - Full of great pictures of all the planes you could wish for! I still use this!

Finished both publications to the very end, but the cost! oh dear.................

Comment

I never see the Bond car collection ones any more. I bought a couple of the early ones (with the Aston Martin DB5 and the battered Citroen 2CV). I'd quite like to see the latest as there sounds like some unususl models with those.

I've got a few of the DVDs from the 'Only Fools And Horses' collection - you tend to see the DVDs on sale on the cheap at boot fairs and markets a lot. I already had a good few of the specials and series on DVD anyway, so just filling in the gaps in my OFAH collection.
                              "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I collected the Encyclopedia of Birds in the late 1970s, and saw it through to the end (around 2 years worth). It took much of my paper-round money, but it was worth it - the content was very high quality. The last two volumes had weird and wonderful birds from around the world (muumuus, drongos, etc) - the ones you can't find in the usual RSPB books. I still refer to it today.

(I had to buy the binders, though).

Comment

Working...
                                X