No announcement yet.

Did food really taste better as a kid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Did food really taste better as a kid?

i was born in 75 hehe and yes food did taste better in the seventies eighties and up to the mid nineties.

yes wagon wheels where bigger than they are now they are like small wheels now.

i also feel they took more care when making products back in the day.
    thing is now they either puit less of a certain ingredient in, they make a substitute form of it,or they do not put it in at all.

a lot of the problem is supermarkets make there own versions of certain foods like cereals,pancakes,bread loaves, etc and they really do taste worse than types of bread you get in a bakery.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I keep thinking Food did taste as good in the 1980s and 1990s in comparison to Today. I recall Lilt well in the 1990s and it tasted great then, not like today it has no taste when-ever i've had it recently.

It is a similar case with Pepsi I think,but not as much I think, and some Chocolate (though it varies sometimes some rae better than other's ) but I think it is Lilt the most I think taste's nothing like it did. In another way I am glad and hope it remains so with Dr Pepper.

Comment

no i dont think food tasted better when i was a kid...........i had to eat food i didn't like

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
          I keep thinking Food did taste as good in the 1980s and 1990s in comparison to Today. I recall Lilt well in the 1990s and it tasted great then, not like today it has no taste when-ever i've had it recently.

It is a similar case with Pepsi I think,but not as much I think, and some Chocolate (though it varies sometimes some rae better than other's ) but I think it is Lilt the most I think taste's nothing like it did. In another way I am glad and hope it remains so with Dr Pepper.
          I think the reason chocolate tasted better back then was because it wasn't made with Skimmed/Semi Skimmed milk like what a lot of chocolate is now. I find its a bit stupid trying to make a chocolate bar more healthy, at the end of the day if the fat, calories in chocolate bothers people, then either don't eat them or eat them occasionally but don't spoil the taste by trying to make them more healthy
          Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

Comment

Fatboy, I think you have a valid point here!

Comment

i would not mind ingredients being healthy if the sweets chocolate still tasted the same.
              that way you get the best of both worlds.

the same taste and its healthy.
              fact is all you had to do was eat less of.

and its true a bar of say cadburys plain chocolate does taste different to what it did when i was a kid back in the eighties.

or why dont they make cholcate bars both healthy versions and also the way it was made for us as a kid.

everyone is happy.

it should be down to us as adults whether we want to eat it or not.

there is a big difference in taste and thickness between whole milk and skimmed and semi skimed.

Originally posted by Fatboy View Post
              I think the reason chocolate tasted better back then was because it wasn't made with Skimmed/Semi Skimmed milk like what a lot of chocolate is now. I find its a bit stupid trying to make a chocolate bar more healthy, at the end of the day if the fat, calories in chocolate bothers people, then either don't eat them or eat them occasionally but don't spoil the taste by trying to make them more healthy
              Last edited by darren; 14-01-2013, 01:23.

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                I recall Lilt well in the 1990s and it tasted great then, not like today it has no taste when-ever i've had it recently.
                That's because of the horrible sweeteners that are added these days,
                They are in Lilt, Fanta, Tango, Vimto, Tizer, plus many others and ALL diet drinks.
                However there isn't any in Coca Cola, Pepsi, Sprite, 7-Up & Cherry 7-Up (although all the diet varieties have them).

Basically these sweeteners taste terrible and are apparently really bad for you.
                Aspartame & Acesulfame K are the main ones to avoid, although Saccharine tastes particularly bad.
                A quick Google search will bring up plenty of information on these dangerous food additives.

This is just one of the reasons that soft drinks tasted batter as a kid, there was sugar instead of dodgy chemicals.

Comment

Another reason is that many drinks now contain glucose syrup in place of raw cane sugar.
                  Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

strange why there are no sweetners in those you mention and yet they are in their diet varieties.
                    and there is no doubt all thee sweetners are very bad for you.ive heard some prettybad things about saccharine it can be usesd as a substitute for sugar.

ok sugar is not great for you in drinks but its better than seetners.

Originally posted by DemonEyeX View Post
                    That's because of the horrible sweeteners that are added these days,
                    They are in Lilt, Fanta, Tango, Vimto, Tizer, plus many others and ALL diet drinks.
                    However there isn't any in Coca Cola, Pepsi, Sprite, 7-Up & Cherry 7-Up (although all the diet varieties have them).

Basically these sweeteners taste terrible and are apparently really bad for you.
                    Aspartame & Acesulfame K are the main ones to avoid, although Saccharine tastes particularly bad.
                    A quick Google search will bring up plenty of information on these dangerous food additives.

This is just one of the reasons that soft drinks tasted batter as a kid, there was sugar instead of dodgy chemicals.

Comment

Cheese seemed to taste better years ago. Each type of Cheddar(i.e English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh) used to have it's own individual character. Now it's homogenised, bland and seems to smell and taste the same no matter what it says on the label. And it always seems to be wet when the packet is opened.

Comment

i sure agree with that mate.
                        i love coleraine cheddar and its not as strong as i remember it.
                        i eat our cheddar al the time and yes ive noticed how its wet when you open the packet.

whether its mild or mature cheddar it just tastes the same.
                        i can remember ours used to e more crumbly stronger that it is now.

Originally posted by Powdered toast man View Post
                        Cheese seemed to taste better years ago. Each type of Cheddar(i.e English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh) used to have it's own individual character. Now it's homogenised, bland and seems to smell and taste the same no matter what it says on the label. And it always seems to be wet when the packet is opened.
                        Last edited by darren; 15-01-2013, 01:03.

Comment

Regarding my earlier post about crispy pancakes, they're smaller now and theres not much filling in them.

Comment

I agree with you on the crispy pancakes.I had some last year,the first in many years.Just fancied some for a change and the first thing I noticed was the lack of filling compared to what there used to be.

Comment

Definitely. They are tiny now and not very crispy. Mind you I'm not sure that they were ever very crispy.
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

Not had them in a long time but its no shock they are smaller.

and yes they where rther crispy well thats how i remember them.

and they did have quite a filling as soon as uou took a bite the filling came out.

Originally posted by wispa lover View Post
                                Regarding my earlier post about crispy pancakes, they're smaller now and theres not much filling in them.

Comment

Working...
                                X