No announcement yet.

Did food really taste better as a kid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did food really taste better as a kid?

Does anyone else think that food-as a kid-tasted so much better? Yeah in hindsight it could be classed as unhealthy but foods I remember as being great as a nipper taste and look rubbishy now.....

I.E. Birds Eye fish fingers, or their beef burgers-100% beef they proclaim these days-my backside they are! When you fry them the pan fills with all the water they pump into them these days and they turn grey, or shrink!

Other foods I loved as a kid:

Monster Munch, they were bigger then, the beef and onion flavour was the best imho....Lyons Chocolate Ready Brek, Weetabix with hot milk, even crinkle cut chips tasted better.....

Cornettos even seemed bigger, or was that cos I was small?

Anyhow.....

Re: Did food really taste better as a kid?

I always say that some stuff has got smaller like packs of munchies etc., My husband reckons it's just because my hands have got bigger. Wished I had counted them back then.....
    sigpic

Comment

I always think Wagon Wheels were bigger. Creme Eggs definitly were - I used ot insist on eating them like a boiled egg as a kid - in an egg cup with a spoon. They were always a bit big to do this. Nowadays they are too small for the egg cup and wobble around!
      sigpic

For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people

Comment

Yes, I agree, Wagon Wheels were bigger back then and tastier.... I also remember they used to do one with a more buttery marshmallow filling and hated them...

Comment

Originally posted by chillyrose View Post
          Creme Eggs definitly were - I used ot insist on eating them like a boiled egg as a kid - in an egg cup with a spoon.
          "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Comment

Mars Bars were much chewier and tastier;
            you could eat all the chocolate etc off and ended up with a softish toffee bar that was then rolled up and crammed into your gob, try it now and you just get a load of glucose goo all over your hands

Comment

Wagon Wheels used to be lovely but they're awful now. It's the same with todays Munchies.

Comment

I definitely think stuff tasted different as a kid, some I think may be down to a change in tastes as we get older but a lot does taste different as it will probably contain something different than it used to, or it will have been P****d around with.

I know Club biscuits are definitely way different than they used to be, years ago they were covered in REALLY THICK chocolate (if my memory serves me right one of their adverts was promoting this, possibly with a Rhino trying to smash the chocolate?) now the chocolate is sprayed on.
                Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

Comment

I find that Starbars and Double Deckers taste the same as they have always tasted.
                  Last edited by Fatboy; 04-05-2008, 22:41.
                  Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

Comment

I think a lot of things these days have had all the artificial stuff taken out, preservatives and all that.
                    I've noticed that on crisps for example, I'm sure the use by dates have got MUCH shorter than they were in the past, i'm certain you could buy a multipack and have a year to eat them.

'back in the day' noone cared what **** went in to it all!

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                      Yes, I agree, Wagon Wheels were bigger back then and tastier.... I also remember they used to do one with a more buttery marshmallow filling and hated them...
                      I was discussing this with my hubby and we definitely remember Wagon Wheels being bigger and certainly better tasting!
                      sigpic
                      'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

The only reason food tasted better as a kid was because someone else cooked it for us. Don't you find now we're grown up's (ish) that when someone else cooks dinner, it's always nicer. Obviously that was directed at the laydeez.....

And before you say it, no, it isn't just because I'm a rubbish cook!
                        "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chillyrose View Post
                          I always think Wagon Wheels were bigger. Creme Eggs definitly were - I used ot insist on eating them like a boiled egg as a kid - in an egg cup with a spoon. They were always a bit big to do this. Nowadays they are too small for the egg cup and wobble around!
                          Sounds like you've tried to do this recently?...... I worry about you!! LOL!
                          "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
                          sigpic

Comment

Have to agree, as with the comment about crinkle cut chips - the shape was a novelty, but I don't recall a different taste - now crinkle cut chips only taste of grease, more like a cheap and nasty potato waffle.

And also completely agree on Wagon Wheels - they aren't the same as they used to be.

Toffypops still rock though.

Comment

from 2000AD comic 25 Oct 1986

sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Working...
                              X