The King of Kong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The King of Kong

Not that I was ever, really, any good at Donkey Kong back in the 80s but there's a fantastic documentary out about 2 guys trying to outdo each other for the world hi-score DK champ title. It had a cinema run in the States and is now out on DVD (I went the Ebay route). It really is a great watch even if you weren't an 80s arcade goer.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0923752/

Re: The King of Kong

I always totally stank at arcade games , ,even the early seventies ping !
    Last edited by Danny; 04-04-2008, 07:37. Reason: mis-spelling

Comment

I was reading about another "old" video game film from 1989 which had totally passed me by called "The Wizard". info.

It starred Beau Bridges, Fred Savage (Wonder Years and The Princess Bride among others), Christian Slater and a small (uncredited) appearance by a young Tobey Maguire. It was apparently kind of sponsored by Nintendo so pretty much all the games in it are Nintendo ones and the "power glove" was an as yet unreleased peripheral.

I must try and watch it some time.

Comment

The Wizard is a 'classic'. At the end it's basically just a big advert for Super Mario Bros. 3 which hadn't been released at the time.

Probably not the best film in the world but it's a good laugh. When I was working on games magazines we actually got a telephone interview with Fred (The Wonder Years) Savage (in what must have been 12 years or so after he'd filmed it) and quizzed him about the Power Glove scene. He must have thought we were mad!

Comment

Watched The King of Kong the other night, was a pretty good documentary but was wondering why after all the build up to this head-to-head contest they didn't even show any of it, the only conclusion I could come up with was that they both went really bad.
          "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Comment

Working...
          X