Bank Account Freebies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank Account Freebies

In the early - mid 80s there was a spate of ads encouraging kids to open new bank accounts using enticements like piggy-banks and sport bags.
    I joined Barclay's Bank some time during Middle School and I got a blue folder to keep my bank statements in. I used this at school because it had a place to fit a lined A4 text pad and lots of places to put my pens. I think Midland Bank was also popular at the time.

Re: Bank Account Freebies

My Nana opened us all a TSB account up when we were small, as there are 5 of us, she could only afford to put us tiny bits into the accounts here and there.
    TSB must have been very child unfriendly as I dont even remember getting a sticker let alone anything else in all those years the account was open
    Nan gave us all our books when we were 16 and each account contained around £25 I feel really guilty as I cant even remember what I spent it on.
    Heather

Comment

The NatWest piggies are very sort after still and go for silly money

http://www.piggybankpage.co.uk/wade_NatWest.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Daz View Post
        The NatWest piggies are very sort after still and go for silly money

http://www.piggybankpage.co.uk/wade_NatWest.htm
        My mate sold his complete, perfect condition full set last year (on a well known auction site) for only about 200 quid.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

i remember having a globe money box free, not sure if it was from TSB or NATWEST, TSB i think, anyone else have one?

Comment

Them Bank Account Freebies often are things like **** £5 CD players, big deal

Comment

We used to have a Midland Bank in the village and I can remember asking to open an account and they refused! They said they knew I was only applying for an account because of the freebies - how dare they.....

Okay, you got me, they were right!

Went to Barclays instead and got that blue fold out folder which I used at school.

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn....

Comment

1960's and I think it was TSB you got a clear plastic Sputnik about size of a football , this was self-assembly ( snap together ) at home but the central core was a gunmetal colour thing like a bean tin.

You dropped your coins in to save up and they zig-zagged through the perspex bits and into a slot - once this can was too full to take any anymore you dismantled your Sputnik and took the core to the bank.

They held the key with a registered serial number on your piggy bank and would open it at the counter for you , count your savings and record it in your account book.

Of course I reallly needed money one Summer hol ( day trip to Morecambe)and smashed the lid off with Dads tools and then soon after I drew out what was left in my passbook

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Jane View Post
                        i remember having a globe money box free, not sure if it was from TSB or NATWEST, TSB i think, anyone else have one?
                        Heather

Comment

I remember that globe bank, didnt have one of those but did have a very odd looking red plastic pig, cant remember which bank it was that gave them out... they came in bright blue too if i recall?
                          Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door!

Comment

My most memorable Lloyds freebie was a money box that sorted coins into graded slots with marks up the front to show how much you had in each type of coin. Very useful but with a limited lifespan at the time - it survived the new 10p because they were the same size as the old 5s, but the new 5p was more of a problem.
                            I'm your duck

Comment

Barclays give out free pens marked "I was stolen from Barclays"; "It's a pen-alty" and "I'm free, now there's a thought" amongst others.

Comment

Working...
                              X