Barbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbie

In 1958, Barbie Millicent Roberts was born - 11 1/2 inches tall and weighing 11 ounces. She debuted as a teenage model in a black and white striped swimsuit that came with sunglasses, high-heeled shoes, and gold-coloured hoop earrings. Her body was shapely with a movable head, arms and legs. Barbie was the first doll in America with an adult body.Part of Barbie's appeal was the fact that she was different than any other doll on the market (in the 1950's, the large majority of toys for little girls were baby dolls). Dolls such as Betsy Wetsy and Chatty Cathy were designed to teach girls the skills required for being a mother, whereas Barbie offered a more beautiful, glamorous and fashionable future for them!Barbies and their outfits changed with the fashions of the times, they've even recently changed their body shapes slightly in response to pressure from groups claiming Barbie's unrealistic proportions were partly to blame for the increase of teenage anorexia.In the last few years, Mattel even produced versions of Barbie in a line of 'good jobs' (doctor, teacher, vet) in order to be a little more P.C. and perhaps try to shed Barbie's 'bimbo' image. Barbie is still seriously out of proportion though and is still just as fashionable, changeable and glamourous.Barbie is incredibly popular today and is probably the best known doll in the world.

More...
    Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
    http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

I just wanted to give a mention here to 2 other dolls I had and still have in the Barbie collection in the 70s. Skipper was Barbie's sister and Francie was Barbie's cousin. Anyone else have these?

I also had a Sindy's Horse and Patch's Pony, but am gutted that they both got broken and had to be thrown away. :cry:
    sigpic
    'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Re: Barbie

Comment

How much would she be worth now if still in original box mint condition

Comment

BARBIE'S LITTLE SISTER SKIPPER.

BARBIE GOING SINCE 1958 WOW NEAR SIXTY YRS.

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I didnt know Barbie had a sister

Barbie Nearly 60 wow

Comment

My aunt had some of the really early ones, they looked rather severe, and a friend had a much later hot pink camper vehicle set, but I was mostly a stuffies kid (and adult). The only use for them to me was to ride around on the back of a stuffy kangaroo.
              My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

My sister had a lot of Barbie dolls & accessories in the 1990s. One was a kitchen with lots of small items that seemed to fly all over the lounge if you only slightly knocked it!
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X