The soft drinks YO-YO craze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The soft drinks YO-YO craze

Not entirely sure what year this was but was roughly around 1989-91 and basically it was YO-YO'S with soft drinks names on them, I think they had Fanta, sprite Coca cola etc and they held these competitions outside the local corner shop and some coca cola rep would come along teach us tricks and the one who did the best would win a gold coca cola Yo-Yo.

Hoepfully someone remembers this.

Re: The soft drinks YO-YO craze

I had forgot all about this! I had a coca-cola yo-yo and a sprite one....I might still have these somewhere! I remember the sprite one was white, with a green circle and then the sprite logo in the centre on both sides.
    sigpic

For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people

Comment

Oh thank God someone does remember, think I had the Fanta one, never got the gold one though, some kid who was younger than me got not that I still hold any ill feeling (never liked that kid) lol.

Chillyrose thats also brought back memories used to be my nickname at college after I got a chillie rose tarantula up my sleeve oh the joys of animal care.

Comment

Had the fanta one, sprite one and a gold one but got that as a trade with a mate. Remember having to keep buying new strings for them.

Comment

You had a gold? you lucky devil

Comment

Originally posted by themaskofangel View Post
            Oh thank God someone does remember, think I had the Fanta one, never got the gold one though, some kid who was younger than me got not that I still hold any ill feeling (never liked that kid) lol.

Chillyrose thats also brought back memories used to be my nickname at college after I got a chillie rose tarantula up my sleeve oh the joys of animal care.

Haha - thas why I use it. My sister had a chilean rose spider as a pet - I misheard and thought it was called a chilly rose spider and have used the name ever since!

Gold yo-yo's....something rings a bell there....I think my uncle might have one.
            sigpic

For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people

Comment

Ok guys, this one is right up my street.

I still have a coca cola "Gold Spinner" after giveing away roughly 8 of the little beuties to mates.

You could buy the normal Coca Cola / Sprite / Fanta ones but the gold ones you had to win. Remember the days of the old "Ring pulls" ? Well when you opened the can and the ring pull came off totally you had to look at the under side of the ring pull and if it had a "G" in a circle stamped on it you had won a Gold Spinner !

You had to take your winning ring pulls to the Spinner Roadshow and they gave you 1 gold spinner per winning ring pull. I think you could also send them in via post but we all wanted to go and see the proffesional Yo Yo ers so we took ours to orchard Square in Sheffield.

Woff

Comment

Wow Nice to know theres female Chilly Rose out there, named for the same reasons too.

I never knew you could just save ring pulls for them woffski if I'd have known that I'd have got one of the gold ones.

Comment

Heather

Comment

Ok ok im gonna have to dig out the gold spinner and take a piccy and post it for you to drool over lol

Woff

Comment

Bought a yoyo last week (not a soft drink one) to see if I could still do the tricks. Did around the world and broke a light shade, oops. Noticed they have clutches in them now so it`s easier to pull tricks off.

Comment

1980's Spinner Winner Cap.
                        Heather

Comment

Ok here it is...its a bit battered and bruised and the camera used just wouldnt take a clear piccy but here goes :-)

Comment

There was a Yo-Yo craze here in Australia in the late 70s too. I had one of these in 1979:

They were all rounder and flat like this then and these are worth a fortune now. They came in Fanta as well. A few years later they changed shape to this and were never as good:

Last edited by Etch-a-sketch; 30-07-2009, 17:27.

Comment

I had a Fanta one, which might be around somewhere at my parents house.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                              X