• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Warlord Secret Agent

Wow! happy days

Comment

Those UK Marvel comics were fantastic! I also used to get "Dracula Lives" and "Planet of the Apes" comics. I think the free gifts were a Dracula poster and an ape mask (some say its time I took it off )
      The comics and especially the albums used to smell really good.
      For some reason the smell always reminded me of the sticks of chewing gum you would get with collectors cards like UFO or Captain Scarlet.
      Oggie.

Comment

Wish I still had my Warlord wallet - I'd get a kick out of using it now - guess I'll have to make do with the late 70s Spiderman wallet I keep threatening to start carrying again!

Miss Warlord and Battle - wish that I had kept my comics from my youth. I have found the badge that came with issue 1 of The Daredevils recently though.

Comment

seen our Comic thread, Derek?
          your-comic-collection

great 'Battle' site here:
          battle

MY FAV comic site, created by Vic Whittle:
          www.britishcomics.20m.com

includes a fab section on British Picture Libraries (Commando, War, etc)

AND a priceless bit of research (see: "BRITISH COMIC LIST written on yellow)...a full listing of all British comics, with start dates, merger dates , last issue dates, & no. of issues produced

I have every Battle comic from issue 1 March 8th 1975, to June 1982 (left school)...I'm currently replacing my scribbled-in ones on ebay as we speak (as well as building my Warlord & Victor collection)

Dave
          sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Thanks for that - will check that out.

Recall back in the early 70s getting a newspaper sized Topper - must have been amongst the last of that format.

Comment

yes Topper, and Beezer came in that large 'broadsheet' format back then....one of my warmest memories when I look back now is of a neighbour of ours (who obv read a lot of comics) every so often would leave a huge pile of read comics in our back doorway

Mainly Topper, & Beezer, plus some Victor IIRC

And that feeling when you went to collect your copy of your weekly comic, as the shop assistant thumbed through all the 'reserved' comics behind the counter
              sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

There was nothing quite like hefting Battle - I seem to remember the larger format made me feel like I was more adult as it was more tabloid sized than comic.

To this day, though, I believe Eagle's biggest mistake was switching to that format as opposed to the 82 restart initially.

And anyone who feels that Battle is bad for children should be made to read the Charley's War strip from the 1981 annual - just flipped through it - what an achievement that strip was.

Comment

Charley's War is one of my all-time favs....the artwork alone is a masterpiece; such detail from Joe Colquhoun...he'd also done the early 'Johny Red' and 'Soldier Sharpe' in Battle.

But to think that the storylines were equally as good (Pat Mills) makes it an ever more remarkable comic strip. Portraying actual events (at the front AND at home), I loved Charley's 'letters to home' with all their spelling mistakes/censorship

I have one of the 'collections' that has been published in hardback by Titan Books...mine is the one that covers Aug 1916-Oct 1916. I have all the original comics of course, but these books have interviews with the creators, and nuggets of info re CW

Dave
                  sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Have just seen that there is a 288 page volume called Best of Battle coming out in June! Ready for preorder on Amazon for 6.99.

Comment

ohh thanks for the heads up Derek!
                      sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by Oggie View Post
                        Hi all,
                        Does anyone remember being a Warlord Secret Agent? To join you had to crack a code which I think spelt out "Peter means Flint". You then sent it off with your postal order and you received a superb brown or black Secret agent wallet containing an ID card, a Code book,several message cards and also a Winged "W" badge.
                        There was articles in the comic for Agents only which you had to decode first and it was all taken very seriously. We had our own Warlord Hideout and we were armed with sekaden guns which fired little golden plastic pellets.
                        At school we had secret places to leave our Warlord messages...It was great! I was also a member of the Fireball Club with Warlords sister comic "Bullet" This had a red wallet with the ID card and an example of Fireballs training program. You had a a large Black medallion to wear with the Fireball emblem in gold...Those were the days!
                        Oggie.

Yes, I was a member of both but it seems I was the only kid in my school who was. Its great to finally meet up with others

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
                          Charley's War is one of my all-time favs....the artwork alone is a masterpiece; such detail from Joe Colquhoun...he'd also done the early 'Johny Red' and 'Soldier Sharpe' in Battle.

But to think that the storylines were equally as good (Pat Mills) makes it an ever more remarkable comic strip. Portraying actual events (at the front AND at home), I loved Charley's 'letters to home' with all their spelling mistakes/censorship

I have one of the 'collections' that has been published in hardback by Titan Books...mine is the one that covers Aug 1916-Oct 1916. I have all the original comics of course, but these books have interviews with the creators, and nuggets of info re CW

Dave
                          I interviewed Pat for Crikey! magazine a few weeks back (it's out now) and he cites Charley's War as the work he's most proud of, because it proved that kids could actually 'get' anti-war stories. Apparently, the management at IPC were very hostile to his stance, thinking their readers only responded to traditional storytelling. If Pat had listened to them, we'd never have had Charley's War, never have had 'Action', and probably wouldn't still have 2000AD!

Comment

I was a ZED. What u gonna do about it?

Only kidding. funnily enough I was walking through another street nearby when a gang of kids ran at me asking if I was a Zed. I managed to run off and had no idea what they meant until a couple of years later. Shame I never knew who they were as they were no doubt another local branch of Warlord Secret Agents. We could have taken over Leeds together but I guess compartmentalisation is best. Don't forget, you can't spell that without MENTAL.

Comment

How about commando books!

Tell you what i treated myself to just before christmas - a copy of one of those little books about all aspects military - the artwork was marvellous in them, they werent £1.35 though!

Comment

i was a fireball agent too lol with the story of how he became fireball only available to fellow agents, i think he was peter flints nephew or something, do u remember warlords arch enemy, grubber? not sure how it was spelt

i remember it, it was the coolest ring i ever had lol

the summer specials were amazing

Comment

Working...
                                X