Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange late night show

Hi, amazing forum by the way!

I'm trying to find out the name of a show I saw once really late night prob 2 or 3am on a fri or sat night, it must have been in the early to mid 90s.
    Must have been channel 4(but im not sure), as it was one of those strange shows they put out that were intentionally surreal or wierd.

Okay here is what I remember, there would be a series of freaky images and clips set to a background music of low strings, like just one note on something like a cello that would hold for ages and then change to a different note, not music really as there was no real tune.

There was a cg clip of a very realistic alien holding a human baby up towards you then the image changed to a rotating cg head of a young boy that very slowly morphed into a very old man. I think they did that with a girls face too, morphing into an old woman.

There were other cg clips too but my brain not so good on them. At some stage it changed to a very grainy footage of like a home video or security camera somewhere but it was in extreme slow motion and so grainy you couldnt really see what was going on...there was no speech or noise other than the afore-mentioned low strings notes.

Then over the slowmo footage there were subtitles that flashed up on screen but didnt really give you time to read them at all before the next one, just left me thinking what was that just flashed up?

I've been trying to find out what show it was for years now as it was one of the strangest things i have ever seen on tv. Weird stuff that tries to mess with your head freekstyle.

If this rings a bell with any of you fine upstanding members of the community I would be very, very gratefull to know the name of the show.

Cheers! Thanks!

Re: Strange late night show

It sounds a little like 'Jam' the Chris Morris sketch show, although the time might be a little out as i think that was more late 90's early 2000. It did have the same surreal imagery though played out over a background of ambient noises/music.

Comment

Hi Mr Soapy and thanks for your input!
      In my search for this show I checked out Jam as I heard it was very similar but after watching all the Chris Morris shows it turns out it was something different.
      We are on the right track though, Cheers!

Comment

My immediate thought was Jam too.
        Wikipedia says there was a late night TV "remix" called Jaaaaam
        Last edited by sixtyten; 15-05-2008, 16:33.

Comment

Comment on Jaaam -
          Jaaaam features the same material as the regular edition of the show. However, Morris' imagefriggery is given free reign, with the effect of making Jaaaam even more surreal than Jam. Often, Morris removes the original footage altogether, replacing it with footage of the original sketch being shown on a television screen, shot with a video camera. In one notable scene, the picture is both reduced to static images, run through a series of image filters, in order to reduce it to cartoonish, angular shapes, dancing across the screen. If you have the patience for it, it's a fascinating piece of art, as well as being painfully funny.

Taken from http://www.thematthewcraig.com/frame_jam.htm
          Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
          <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

I just had another flick through the 6 episodes of Jam again to make sure and its definitely a different show...

I thought Jam was ok, quite clever and very surreal but not as funny as most of morris's more mainstream work, Brass eye, The Day Today and his early radio shows which had me in stitches. I think most of his early radio stuff is free and legal to download now, I think the site i got them from is called "cookdandbombd". I remmember it was easy to find them with google search though.

Comment

Working...
            X