Colour TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colour TV

We had one of those very little b&w tv's - surprised we didnt have to wear glasses. I think we were one of the first in the street to have a tv - we were very popular

Comment

I sort of remember when we got our first color telly, wasn't anything special.
      I can remember not wanting to watch a film as it was black and white..
      My nan had a black n white telly into the 1990's and when she died we had it
      in our kitchen. We only got rid of it few years, it still worked but we got a modern
      telly, which only worked properly for a few months!

Comment

Originally posted by grhaffdd View Post
        I sort of remember when we got our first color telly, wasn't anything special.
        I can remember not wanting to watch a film as it was black and white..
        My nan had a black n white telly into the 1990's and when she died we had it
        in our kitchen. We only got rid of it few years, it still worked but we got a modern
        telly, which only worked properly for a few months!
        should have kept the black and white telly mate.
        modern tellys are not built to last.

going to try to get an old black and white telly meself.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

We used to have a black and white rented set until 1981 despite the fact that everyone else I knew had a colour one ! The first thing I remember watching was snooker! It was fantastic!

Go on, admit it, if you ever get pangs for those heady B/W days, you turn the colour down on your 50" LED 3D TV dont ya?! lol

Comment

And of course those immortal words from the commentator, "for those of you watching in black and white, the pink is behind the blue" which I was actually watching at the time.

Comment

I remember my parents renting a TV until late 1984, did anyone rent a set beyond the mid 1980s?

I can remember a friend's parents renting a video until the late 1980s, something which kept the rental shops going until the start of the 1990s, when Sky propped things up for a few more years before the whole rental business started to fade away.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Freinds of mine rented a TV into the early 90s.....had a 50p slot thing on the back!

Comment

I've heard of TV's having a meter on them, but have never seen one.

One good thing about renting was that when the TV had a problem you could get it sorted out easily.

I remember an engineer from Granada coming round to sort out my parents telly when they rented one.

Rental shops were often a good source of second hand sets, My uncle got 2-3 for my Grandad this way over the years.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by bakermuk View Post
                    Freinds of mine rented a TV into the early 90s.....had a 50p slot thing on the back!
                    i remember them well.
                    Knew someone who had one.

lots of things like electric metres had slots on them where you could insert monet.
                    i have seen phones that work the same way.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                      i have seen phones that work the same way.
                      Are you being serious? Of course you have seen phones that work the same way!!! What do you think was in a Phone Box? I give up!
                      Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

That has to be a wind up?

Comment

I remember the Glasgow Evening Times for years used to advertise 50p slot TV's.
                          I swear to god that they were still running said ad as late as 2003-2004.

I was working in Glasgow as late as May 2004, then spent 2-3 yrs working in Kilmarnock and Ayr, so stopped reading the Evening Times, so the ad could have run until very recently. Last time I read the print version was last year, I didnt see the ad, so one can assume slot tv's died out in Glasgow 2005-2010.

I am happy to be proven wrong lol.

Comment

First colour TV:

1974 (ITT model, bought in nice time for the World Cup).

Comment

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/forums/br...ay-you-go.html

Comment

I can remember we had an old black and white rental when I was young,but cannot quite remember when we first got a coloured tv.I expect it would of been around the time of the queens jubilee,1977.Asking dad,it appears to have been a rental as well,just like our old black and white set.It was not worth owning your own TV back then as it was common for the thing to break down regularly.Have more memories of the tv repair man and the smell of the warm valves then what colour the TV was.I guess I was not all that impressed,or other things took up more of my time like playing out with my mates.Perhaps our neighbours had coloured TV so it was not that much of a shock to the system,just a minor progression of home tech.

Comment

Working...
                                X