Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colour TV

Im sure the tv had a huge back to it.

We still had a black and white tv even after we got our first colour telly.

Yes i remember rediffusion well.

You had cable free for a month i assume it had many more channels than the ones we had at that time on normal telly.

Originally posted by marc View Post
    we must have been one of the last families in the street to have colour tv, late1984 or early 1985. I can't remember what make it was, but possibly from rediffusion. It seemed brilliant all that colour! On the plus side, being with rediffusion, we had free cable for a month or so has a trial period. There was a black box on top of the tv. We were lucky living in the south wales valleys, transmission was bad, so most houses had their tv connected via a white box on the wall. This box had letters on it, abcdefgh. A and b were radio stations. C was bbc wales, d was bbc2, e was bbc1, f was htv. The rest were spare. An external cable ran outside from this box to a central box elsewhere.
    Seeing a lot of films free, in colour, was fantastic. All i remember about the tv, was it was very heavy by todays standards. In the end, it made a crackling noise, then give up the ghost.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

My dad built our first Colour TV in something like 1974 - from a magazine called Television - every week you had to do something and eventually you had a colour TV - it was great - a bit big and needed adjusting all the time so it never did get the sides and top put on it. It was replaced after we moved as it didnt settle properly, with a Philips Colour TV with an ultrasonic remote. First thing I watched on colour TV was Jesus of Nazareth, I think it was called that - I remember thinking how blue the sea looked.

Comment

Sounds like quite an advanced project to build from a kit even these days.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
          Sounds like quite an advanced project to build from a kit even these days.
          Yes, - he was an electronics engineer though - at the time there used to be loads of electronics magazines with projects in them - amplifiers etc - I guess back then people had fun building stuff themselves rather than just buying things?

Comment

Clive Sinclair made kit audio equipment before moving into computers, the early examples of which were available as kits.

Comment

Comment

Comment

vintage ferguson 3703 single standard 625 lines colour tv

Comment

Sony KV1320 Single Standard Colour TV

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                      My Aunt & Uncle used to have this model, & passed it on to me when they stopped using it.

Comment

Wow! seeing the pic of the old Ferguson 3703 19" Colour TV brought back a few memories. It was a good looking machine & one that I used to sell when I worked for the defunct Electrical retailer Civic Stores in Putney high St. London.

I can date the TV for definite around July 1969 as we were fascinated watching the Moon landing.

HMV & Ultra both produced a similar model with the model numbers 2703 & 6703 respectively. They were part of the same company.

My parents were Irish & very old-fashioned & didn't trust these new fangled colour tellys however, I managed to persuade them to have a home trial.

The TV I chose was a 20" Mitsubishi (the model number escapes me) but at the time (1973) due to some kind of trade embargo, at that time it was the largest size imported TV that could be sold in this country. It did however provide a super picture & started up very quickly.

When Mum & Dad saw programmes in colour like Hawaii 5-0, they were hooked and so my plan worked as dad signed up for a rental agreement promptly.

Everybody rented in those days as being new technology, people were afraid of repair bills. Different today, reliability is so good.

I can still remember the many TV High St. rental outfits now gone......Rediffusion, DER, Radio Rentals, Granada, British Relay, Vision Hire.

Gam

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                            Although my parents didn't have the same model of Pye set, they did have an identical remote control to go with it, and I bet that the one in the picture would have worked the one that we had! We had ours from 1984 right until the late 1990s.
                            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                            X