Colour TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colour TV

In Australia, colour TV began broadcasting in 1975 (yeah, way later than the rest of the planet…, even NZ had colour TV from 1973).

It was such a HUGE thing, I remember all of the family gathering at my grandparents house when they bought their first colour TV sometime late in ‘76 - a large Kriesler model complete with wood finish and corded remote control. Us kids thought it was the height of sophistication to change channels with the remote.

The first shows I really remember being so excited about seeing in colour were cartoons – The Flintstone’s, Jetson’s, Bugs Bunny and the Wonderful World of Disney on a Sunday night.

Does anyone else remember how amazing seeing colour TV was for the first time?

Re: Colour TV

We didn`t get a colour tv until about 82 and remember everyone sitting around it to watch it only to find they was showing a black and white film on tv and felt ripped off

Comment

We didn`t get a colour tv until about 82 and remember everyone sitting around it to watch it only to find they was showing a black and white film on tv and felt ripped off
      Really? That is amazing, I thought Australia was behind the rest of the world with colour TV...however, we make up for it by being early adopters of new technology...... Still, that figures you got to see a black + white film first!

I was 5 years old in 1976 and remember being really impressed when my dad got to watch a total eclipse of the sun, on a colour TV at someone's house, while we watched it on an old black and white set. It was only years later I realised that what difference would it have made....like exactly how much colour is there in a broadcast of an eclipse anyway?

Comment

The reason I've not answered this thread before is I'm a 74 baby and I'm sure I was born into a world of colour tv. From what i can find out the first colour broadcasts ran between 1967-1969 here in the U.K.

Edit Just spoke to mum she believes she would have had her first colour tv somewhere around 72/73.
        Heather

Comment

I was born in 71 and as far as I can remember we always had a colour tv, a big brown wooden one. I remember some programmes were broadcast in black and white, and colour shows often had BBC Colour in the end credits.

My gran had a black and white tv well into the 70's perhaps early 80's.
          The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Early 70's for my family.We had a small portable black and white when first married in 75 until we could afford to rent one(Radio Rentals anyone?)
            The eyes have it!
            sigpic

Comment

I was born in 1971 and we'd had a black and white Bush TV for years, and then in the late seventies/early eighties we had my Grandma's big 26" colur tele from her, we had it for years.

Comment

Mum and Dad rented a colour one for the wedding of Charles and Diana.
                Before that my great aunts had one that was never tuned in properly so everyone had a neon aura.
                One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

Mad memories,

We had a Pye 26" colour in a wooden cabinet. It had sliding hideaway doors and a remote that worked by clicking like a "TICK" sound.

Radio rentals I think.

Pong played great and so did the atari.. cool
                  This is a box, a musical box, wound up and ready to play...

Comment

Ok just wanted to clear this up. Colour tv`s were around before 82 but our family didn`t get one until then. May have caused some confusion. Sorry about that and haven`t been online that much to reply. Sorry again guys.

Comment

In the late 60's I remember coming out of the ABC cinema in Romford and waiting for a bus across the road. They had a colour TV in the window of an adjacent Electrical Store. I think about 5 buses went by before we could tear ourselves away from this wonderful invention! LOL
                      I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

We rented one that had a coin meter at the back for 50p's.

Comment

My family got a colour set before I was born so I've don't have that much viewing in black & white, in fact I can't remember knowing anyone first-hand who had a B&W set as their main TV.

A few did have a B&W 2nd set, my gran used to have one at her caravan in North Norfolk for years. Plenty of memories of the 1984 olympics & summer holiday children's TV in B&W on that.

My Dad first remembers seeing Wimbledon in 1967 on a TV in a shop window, & my Mum's first viewing was Prince Charles's ceremony for becoming Prince Of Wales.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by ClaudineJones View Post
                            We rented one that had a coin meter at the back for 50p's.
                            We also had one like this with the old ten bob bits in the back, LOL.

I never remember us having a b&w tv either, but my dad was a tv engineer at the time and they let him bring colour sets home as a perk. When I was 4 years old I was bought a b&w portable tv for Christmas that still works to this day - 36 years later
                            Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiop View Post
                              When I was 4 years old I was bought a b&w portable tv for Christmas that still works to this day - 36 years later
                              Mu mum & dad had a 'wooden box' type Phillips colour TV for 25yrs..things were built to last back then. If you had a spare telly it tended to be a b&w portable, with the round knob for tuning it in
                              sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Working...
                              X