Johnny Briggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Johnny Briggs

The Writer of Johnny Briggs (though it was based on a story - really was a fantastic, showing true "Northern Gritt", just like Coronation Street used to be before it had to compete against other Soaps and it still had that comic part to it like Johnny Briggs had!!

As a Northerner and being based in Leeds/or may-be Halifax given the opening credits - anybody who lives/lived North of Leicester can appreciate that this was tru "80s Northern Life" I'd be tempted to think - given how the 80s life was!!

Comment

I saw the title of this thread and thought that it was about the actor who played Mike Baldwin in Coronation Street. Apologies if that has already been said several times in this thread.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
        I saw the title of this thread and thought that it was about the actor who played Mike Baldwin in Coronation Street. Apologies if that has already been said several times in this thread.
        Watch it if ever you have a chance George - it is classic, classic kids 90s comedy at it's best mate!

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
          Watch it if ever you have a chance George - it is classic, classic kids 90s comedy at it's best mate!

80sChav
          It might turn up on the CBBC channel.
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
            It might turn up on the CBBC channel.
            You wanna see Richard Holiman who played Johnny on Pointless Celebs Kids version from 2010 - life has'nt been kind to him looks-wise - the poor dude has gone totaly bold. In relation to how Sue Deavaney (his sister Rita looks), it is fair to say who has come off worst

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post

80sChav
              It was actually 1985 to 1987.

Comment

I remember CBBC used to repeat a lot of classics at one time, including this & Rentaghost.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

For anyone interested - I have found out it was filmed in London for the inside of the House - which though it was quite obvious it was "fake", at times it looked fairly convincing (or it appeared so with Richard and Suer when on Pointless Celebs), but I am near on certain it was set somewhere in West Yorks - like Leeds or Halifax - as once there was my "Local Evening/Night News" on there - whatever it was called then and they reffered to Scarborough, but also Jack (Leslie Schofield) once reffered to "City and United" in relation to Johnny's Garden project - but if this was Man City and Man Utd I dunno - though there was a refernce to Blue and RED - so I am guessing so - but given it was as far as I know always set in West Yorkshire - it may have been Bradford City/Leeds Utd who the reference was made towards and given Bradford play in a sort of Burgendy/Purple - you can afford creative writing to make it Red and Leeds too did have many Blue strips in those days - to add further creative license. Add to this too Bradford City and Leeds Urtd spent the entire duration of Johnny Briggs in Division 2 - this makes the argument more convincing than the Manchester Teams I think!

Adding further to the fact at tthis period Man City was yo-yoing and probably spent 1 year out of 1985 to 1987 with Man U in the same Leauge - this seems o.t.t in a way - but the more I look at the opening credits the more I think the Halifax area was where it was meant to be set or West Leeds like Morley veering towards Dewsbury/Huddersfield. The Tower Block may be a give away as I am certain there is Tower Blocks of Flats in Halifax - even though we are talking 32 years since and the landscape could easily of altered!!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                  X