Johnny Briggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnny Briggs

Best Kids TV show ever? With his bumbling brother humphrey? I am sure there was an episode in which he was growing mushrooms in the cellar??? Very dodgy!!! LOL

And I used to love his sister Rita, with her obsession with getting an Angora Sweater....but what on earth was her best friend called????

was it mavis it was something like that she lived with her grandparents ....

"MY MUM WHO'S A NURSE" and johnny's best mate MARTIN CANEBENDER what a cracking name .....
    A HOUSE WITHOUT A KETTLE IS A HOUSE WITHOUT A HEART .....

Comment

No, I'm sure Rita and Mavis have only ever been friends on Coronation Street??

Maybe I'm wrong...I cannot remember what she was called?!?

And didn't Johnny have a friend who was a girl too...what was she called?

You reckon someone had fun with the names.....Canebender and Razzle

Comment

it was definately Mavis...

Comment

I loved that show but can't remember the friends name. I do remember the Angora sweater though, Jonny's dog stole it and made a bed out of it!! Oh and it was the twins that used to say ' our mam, who's a nurse'.

Comment

Originally posted by landsmith2001
            it was definately Mavis...
            Yep - I can back you up on that one and BTW Mavis was played by someone called Debbie Norris FYI
            Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
            http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Comment

Re: Johnny Briggs

Sorry about replying after a long time to this thread, but I just so so liked (and still do as the kid in me), Johnny Briggs. It was a marvelous programme ... really well wrote, possibly 2nd to Grange Hill for me in Childrens TV show terms!

Only one thing though ... how did Johnny Briggs finish? Something tells me that it was the suprise anniversery party that Mavis helped Rita organise for her Parents! It'd be good if anyone could confirm possibly please how it ended!? Thanks.

I am unsure what but the girl who played Rita - I sense she was in loads of other TV programes after Johnny Briggs. Who'd of thought too that Leslie Schofield would go onto land such a role in EasstEnders year's later as Melanie Healy/Beale/Owen's Dad?!

Comment

All I remember about this is the main kid used to say "I don't know" all the time in a long drawn out way.

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                  Sorry about replying after a long time to this thread, but I just so so liked (and still do as the kid in me), Johnny Briggs. It was a marvelous programme ... really well wrote, possibly 2nd to Grange Hill for me in Childrens TV show terms!

Only one thing though ... how did Johnny Briggs finish? Something tells me that it was the suprise anniversery party that Mavis helped Rita organise for her Parents! It'd be good if anyone could confirm possibly please how it ended!? Thanks.

I am unsure what but the girl who played Rita - I sense she was in loads of other TV programes after Johnny Briggs. Who'd of thought too that Leslie Schofield would go onto land such a role in EasstEnders year's later as Melanie Healy/Beale/Owen's Dad?!

sue devaney played rita.
                  check this clip and the credits at thend say who played who.
                  http://youtu.be/MmOuEk1tNUQ

there where two series one of 13 episodes and another of twenty.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                    sue devaney played rita.
                    check this clip and the credits at thend say who played who.
                    http://youtu.be/MmOuEk1tNUQ

there where two series one of 13 episodes and another of twenty.
                    Thanks Daren mate, I will have a look.

Comment

got the johnny briggs theme tune as a ring tone on my phone.

Comment

Originally posted by big kid View Post
                        got the johnny briggs theme tune as a ring tone on my phone.
                        class mate.
                        do not be embarrassed.

its a fab tune.

Comment

Leslie Scofield was also an Imperial Officer in the original Star Wars movie in 1977. I recognised him instantly. Sadly, the makers dubbed his voice to have an American accent to it. Also seen him as a 'heavy' in The Wild Geese actually doing an awful Yank accent....I liked Johnny Briggs. They were a nice working class family. His elder brother was nasty and weird. His sister bit of a madam. I remember their 'tea' consisting constantly of chips, beef burgers, a pot of tea and slices of bread with butter....yum, but we always found it funny that they ate at around 5pm when we always ate at 8pm in our house our main evening meals...I still do most nights even though I live on my own.

Comment

leslie was in clockwise the film with john cleese.
                            he was a policeman who arrested pat.

he was also in casualty and in 5 episodes of coronation street in 2000.

he was in many shows but normally only for a few episodes.
                            he was also in two dr who stories one in 69 and another in 71.

Comment

jonny briggs is a Children's bbc television programme first shown in 1985.

It centres around the exploits of a young boy, the eponymous hero, his pet dog, Razzle, and his eccentric family members Mam and Dad, older sister Rita and older brothers Albert and Humphrey.

Another older sister Marilyn is mentioned but never seen.

The stories often centre on Jonny's school life, where he and his best friend Pam are constantly in battle with the dreadful twins Ginny and Josie.

Previously some of the Jonny Briggs books by Joan Eadington were read on Jackanory. In the books Jonny has two more older sisters - Pat and Sandra. Cast members included Richard Holian as Jonny, Leslie Schofield, and Sue Devaney. Based on a series of popular children's books by Joan Eadington, the programme is set in Middlesbrough, and was filmed in Bradford.

there are 33 episodwes in all.

it ran from 1985 to 1987.
                              check the linky.
                              http://youtu.be/lP5u8b1L9LA

it starred
                              leslie schofield
                              richard holian
                              sue devaney
                              jane lowe.

Comment

Working...