No announcement yet.

Sunday night was bath night....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup. Sunday night. And no central heating upstairs for us, so it was downstairs to dry in front of a bar on the fire. I seem to remember eating Nutty bars (those ones with the nuts on the outside), while drying and watching To The Manor Born, or Hart to Hart.

And I'm sure I remember (though maybe my parents wouldn't admit it), that I could get out of bath night if the following week was a half-term. Why waste money heating water and getting me clean for just playing out in mud, brooks and scrapyards?

Comment

SUnday nights here too, I remember my Mum trying to scrub my suntan marks off once! I come from an Irish family and she thought it had to be a dirty neck instead of a tan on that pale skin of ours LOL

Comment

I used to go horse riding on sundays and spent most of my time on the floor or in ditches...not good at staying on horse! Sunday night was my bath night too as there was no way I could go to school with half of derbyshire stuck to me. My mum used to warm my nightie on the radiator for me and I remember watching bulls eye and the onedin line.
        If eight out of ten cats prefer whiskas, do the other two shave or wax?

Comment

sunday night was always bath night for us,ready for school the next day.revolting i know but i had to get in the bath water AFTER my big brother.mam would really scrub behind my ears with a flannel(ouch).now this is one thing my mam always done if she seen me in the street with my mates,she would come up and get a hankerchief out of her pocket LICK IT!!!!! and then whipe any dirt off my face totally embarresing me in front of my mates.the worse thing is if she seen me in the street today she would still do the same and i'm 42!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

in summer when I was a kid we got bathed outside in a dolly tub! in winter we just got washed all over as we didnt have a bathroom. I guess we`ve all been leant over a sink having mum wash our hair and us screaming cos water was going in your eyes!Yuk!God I hated it.
            I remember my niece had it abit better when she came along-she got bathed in the big old belfast ceramic sink but at least it was indoors!

Comment

When I was little, my mom would bath me in the kitchen sink...I've got the pictures to prove it!
              When I got too big for the sink, me and my brother (he's 2 years older) would have a bath together (nowadays I suppose that would be considered wrong?!). We thought it was great fun! And I think mom liked that she didn't have to supervise us as much.
              I didn't get the flannel behind the ears, but you try having your waist-length hair dried ferociously with a towel, and then have all of the subsequent knots brushed out...OUCH!

Comment

Yup, sunday was bath night. Unless we had been to our caravan for thee weekend, in which case Friday was bath night, then we used to pick mum up from work and drive to our caravan late Friday night. On our way back we would have sandwhiches and cake at my Uncle John's & Aunty Joan's house were I used to play hide and seek exhautedly with my cousins. If we were at homeit was in early, bath & hairwash, bullseye (I still hate it to this day!), hair dried with an amazingly hot hairdryer which burned your scalp off, then Dad would watch The Money Programme on BBC2. Bed after that.
                Dont P**S me off, I'm running out of places to hide the bodies!

Comment

For years I thought it was only me that was forced into the bath on a Sunday night for the dreaded 'bath and hairwash'. I ask you; Sunday evening, full up after a large dinner, all I wanted to do was play Spectrum games. Yet, every week I was washed and scrubbed like a dog, it was cruel and unusual torment.

Still, I always got to stay up and watch That's Life and laugh at the 'hilarious' vegetables that resembled genitalia in various states of arousal. Damn that Esther!
                  The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
                  Marcel Proust

Comment

I agree, Sunday night was bath night - except for one of my mates who would get called in early by his mum EVERY night for a bath. We thought it was wierd at the time, but I now bath both my kids every day before bedtime, so I suppose my mate's mum was a trendsetter!
                    Nowadays, of course, it's much less fuss - no getting /setting extra coal to heat up the bathwater in the pipes - just sit in & turn taps!
                    I have hazy recollections of an old iron bathtub that hung on the inside of our coal "cwtch" (shed), which was at one time used by Gran to wash Grancha in front of the fire after his shift at the pit. It was obsolete even back then, being used to transport "small" coal from where it was dumped (outside the front gate) to the cwtch.
                    Oh, and sunday night viewing at this time was, of course, Sunday Night at the London Palladium - all together now Da da ...daah da, da da da da daah da daah!

Comment

sunday night was our bath night and being 5 of us kids we all wished we were the oldest so we got the hottest water i was in the middle so it wasnt too bad for me i guess. my daughter didnt believe we only had baths on sunday nights lol she thinks it must of been a weird ritual.

Comment

What a strange thought, only bathing on a Sunday. When I was growing up, I was forced to have a bath every night. I thought this was normal, but it seems not.
                        I do remember, being the youngest I had to wait the longest for the water and after my two brothers had been in there, I think it might have been better to not have bothered, the water was always luke warm and looked none too clean.

But bathing on a Sunday only, not in our house.

Oh and Sunday night was Muppet night. Fortunately, I got to watch this before my bath.

Comment

Re: Sunday night was bath night....

Sunday night here as well...can't remember if it was before or after That's Life - that was a good show though! So what did we all do? Smell nice Monday and end up stinking by Saturday? Charming!

Comment

Yip Sundays for me too.....which is why I still hate a Sunday nite. Even after all these years it still feels like a ritual that can't be broken getting ready for work/school. I've tried to stay up late, go to the pub or the cinema but then i feel guilty!!!!
                            The eyes have it!
                            sigpic

Comment

I still feel the same too. For me Sundays will always be assosciated with Bath night, closed shops and songs of praise, which by anybody's reckoning is enough to scar you for life.

Comment

LOL tele isn't much better now on a Sunday..... probably better off in the bath anyway!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X