Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sunday night was bath night....

Originally posted by Powdered toast man View Post
    As a kid growing up in the Eighties in a dull backwater of a town, Sundays were always empty, dead days. Just whiling away the time before the school week started up the next day. Sunday teatimes were always a visit to my Grandad and Great Aunt. Being given a cup of weak, sweet tea in a light-blue plastic mug. And salad sandwiches, which I hated. It would be getting dark outside. On the TV would be something like Seal Morning, or Return Of The Antelope. Then something completely dismal and prosaic, such as Antiques Roadshow. And bloody Bullseye. When it was time to come home, the walk up the path was a head-clearing noseful of fresh air after an hour of cigarette smoke, parental gossip and sandwiches. You could usually catch the smell of a coal fire or a damped down garden fire most Sunday evenings, especially in winter. Most of the houses in the cul-de-sac were closed up for the night, with usually just a living-room light on and the dead, end of week gloom was everywhere. Once at home, there was no going back. A bath, with the radio on playing the Pepsi Chart Show was inevitable. As was school the next morning.

Sundays are indeed the long dark teatime of the soul.
    The smell of garden fires, trudging up the road under the glare of orange street lights, cold air hitting my face after the 100 degree temperatures of my gran's overheated house. This was my Sunday teatime. i must have lived a hundred Octobers!
    1976 Vintage

Comment

It's a lot easy to get into the transition from going to school to having a day off (Friday to Saturday), then it is to do the reverse of that (Sunday to Monday).
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

JUST A SQUIRT OF FAIRY LIQUID MOST TIMES HOW DID THAT EFFECT YOUR SKIN ETC.

WAS IT CAUSE MATEY WAS EXPENSIVE THAT YOU DID GET THAT TREAT.

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
        I was never allowed to have Matey. Most of the time we didn't even use proper bubble bath. It was usually a squirt of washing up liquid.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
          JUST A SQUIRT OF FAIRY LIQUID MOST TIMES HOW DID THAT EFFECT YOUR SKIN ETC.
          My parents used to use that New Pin (?) washing up liquid in those huge bottles that they used to put into old bubble bath containers, and that really confused me when I saw washing up liquid in bottles with "bubble bath" written on them - why were they washing plates and dishes with bubble bath, I wondered when I was younger.

Yes, Matey bubble bath - although as my skin was sensitive, I had to go for Infacare instead. For old times sake, I put some in a running bath a few years ago, and the smell of it brought back so many memories of a child some 20 odd years before.

Mind you, now you have mentioned Matey, I might just add that on my Tesco online Christmas shopping list...
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
          X