Whats Wrong With The Kids Today ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats Wrong With The Kids Today ...

i cant think of why it was called knock down ginger, was there lots of ginger people about
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scally_caps_forever View Post

headers n volleys
      We used to play this as kids, but we called it GOOMA. You could only score a goal if it came off a volley or a header. If the goalie caught the ball or if your shot went wide then you went in goal. Shot's that went sky high over the imaginary crossbar could be negated by shouting "Over On Target". The goals were accumulated and if you were in goal when 10 had been scored you had to do a forfeit, i.e. run around the football pitch or on more sadistic days do the "Tunnel Of Death" where all the other lads would form a tunnel like a rugby srum and you had to go though the tunnel whilst they kicked the living sh*t out of you. Still, it's all character building, so my therapist says!
      Last edited by SG1973; 26-05-2007, 14:33.

Comment

I remember stretch but we had a variation called chicken where you started with your feet apart and the knife (we used to play with a scout knife) was thrown between the feet. Your foot was placed where the knife landed, feet getting closer all the time until someone chickened out. Funnily enough, I don't remember anyone being hurt.
        Dekster

Comment

"Tunnel Of Death"
          It was known round our way simply as Boot Alley, we played it as a game as well as being a punishment.

I remember stretch but we had a variation called chicken where you started with your feet apart and the knife (we used to play with a scout knife) was thrown between the feet.
          Known as Split the Kipper for us, I can't remember anyone getting hurt by it either.
          The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

yep, used to do that too..never had a name for it though

Comment

Originally posted by SG1973 View Post
              We used to play this as kids, but we called it GOOMA. You could only score a goal if it came off a volley or a header. If the goalie caught the ball or if your shot went wide then you went in goal. Shot's that went sky high over the imaginary crossbar could be negated by shouting "Over On Target". The goals were accumulated and if you were in goal when 10 had been scored you had to do a forfeit, i.e. run around the football pitch or on more sadistic days do the "Tunnel Of Death" where all the other lads would form a tunnel like a rugby srum and you had to go though the tunnel whilst they kicked the living sh*t out of you. Still, it's all character building, so my therapist says!
              We were lucky enough for the big schools goal posts to be left up over summer so we used them for headers and volleys.
              When the bigger kids came along we had to leave though...

I was also lucky enough to have a forest right behind my house so many a day was spent frolicking and climbing trees or playing in the wheat fields which were up there too.

Comment

My daughter has just had me making one of those paper things, where you put numbers on the out side, then a colour, and finally a task to do, you put your fingers in the triangle bits, and count out the numbers, then pick a colour, under which says things like, kiss a boy, do a hand stand etc, What were these called???
                Heather

Comment

We just called them Fortune Tellers Heather and there is a very ornate one here http://www.tammyyee.com/origamidragon.html

Lots and lots of paper folding for kids if you type in Origami for kids / children on Google.
                  Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
                  <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

Originally posted by scally_caps_forever View Post
                    happy slapping old biddy mugging A.B.O.S collecting oiks

in my day you never gave lip to kids older than you ... long gone summers

Too true mate. Same as when I started Secondary School, we'd not even copy the 4th/5th Years doing our ties the thin way? Bet you had your's hmm hmm?

Comment

It always brings a smile when you talk about ties. You're a tie obsessive.

And I agree with all of the above. I used to have a rule that when the streetlights came on, I had to come in. I was also not allowed further than the 2nd lampost at the bottom of the street, as there was a 'busy' road at the bottom. By 'busy' I meant we got 1 bus an hour. lol

I had many a happy time playing in the streets I grew up. The summer that's just gone I didn't see any kids playing on the grassy area near where I live now. There used to be a few families with young 'un and in the summer holiday nights we all used to go and act about with the kids, play football, cricket, tennis or rounders. Nothing serious, it was just an excuse for us grown ups to run about and show how unfit we are in front of tutting housewives. It just doesn't happen now. Sad really that most of the kids I see now will never know the delights or roughing each other up or skinning their knees.

Comment

making bows and arrows from tree branches..colouring books..rolling down hills in big tyres..frogs and newts...stickboats(when it rained).sticklebacks..dams..sliding down bankings on cardboard..plastic army parachute men..washing up liquid bottle water fights..spud guns..throwing arrows..climbing..bogeys(a pram wheeled cart)..apple raiding..rope swings..chair leg machine guns..lolly stick frisbys..water pistols..cap rockets..clackers and them things you licked and stuck down and they sprang up when you didnt expect it to.....free or cheap ways of amusing ourselfs...great days

oh...and homemade catapults...paper planes..hangman..growing cress seeds in eggshells..ringpull frisbys..hopscotch..tig..chalk stones..cotton reel tanks.envelope twisters(made with a hairpin,button,thin elastic band)..noughts and crosses..reading library books...mr wolf(what time is it)..coat hanger water dividers with straws..potato printing...sock puppets..shadow animals and blackberrying.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                          It always brings a smile when you talk about ties. You're a tie obsessive.]

Thanks yeah ... gotta have some memory that holds strong hey!!? How you have your's then?

Comment

I don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                              I don't.
                              Bet you had your Tie thin like me too hmm!?

Comment

Not ties again!!!!! I'm sick of reading about ties 'the thin way'.
                                Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Working...
                                X