school days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: school days

I will always associate the smell of burning popcorn with our school disco's.
    One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

I've been thinking about some of the good (and bad) teachers I had at school and some of the lessons I loved and loathed. I thought of starting a new thread but found this one. The OP mentions teachers and subjects.

Tributes to Mr Ilsley; my form teacher when I was ten years old. He was gentle, kind and approchable. Mrs Kidd; French teacher, sometimes severe but always caring. Mrs Walker; patient and dedicated science teacher whom we all loved. Obviously, science was therefore a subject I enjoyed a lot, though I was never especially good at it.

Some people here have talked about Friday afternoons. We had a thing called 'clubs'. This was a more informal way of spending the last period of the week. It was a bit like after-school clubs but as part of the school day. Cooking, woodwork, needlework, gymnastics, art. You just chose your club and spent most of Friday afternoon doing it!

Comment

Miss McNeil who read us a chapter of "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" every afternoon before home time...

Mr Millington who looked like William Conrad out of the detective series "Cannon" and would talk very quietly and then SHOUT VERY LOUDLY FOR NO APPARENT REASON!

"She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

I remember when we had an end of school year class party with food and music, dancing to records like Hot Love and Crazy Horses with my tie tied around my head. Well I thought I looked cool!

I would like to mention my favourite ever teacher Mrs Garood. She taught English and inspired me to always do my best in her lessons. I had such respect for her.

sigpic
          'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by Jacqueline View Post
            Miss McNeil who read us a chapter of "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" every afternoon before home time...
            We too were read stories, bit by bit, at the end of every school day. I'm sure the Narnia books were included. Another regular one was Professor Brainstorm.

Comment

I loved the illustrations in the Professor Branestawm books - I think they were by Heath Robinson?

Comment

I loved the illustrations in the Professor Branestawm books - I think they were by Heath Robinson?
                I've just been on Wiki, and you quite right!

It is said you learn something every day, and today I learned that Heath Robinson was an illustrator. I'm familiar with the idea of people calling eccentric inventions "...very Heath Robinson", but I've always thought that was because Robinson was an inventor!

Comment

When I was a little girl I somehow got Heath Robinson and Teddy Robinson confused

The mind boggles!

Comment

There was an American called Rube Goldburg who drew similar cartoons, & has become an expression for a complicated device.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

..and now I've learnt something.
                      Who says DYR isn't educational??

Comment

I loved English and Art, that was about it lol
                        The worst teacher was Mrs Wharton, she taught sewing, she was just so horrible, never smiled, never said anything positive, I may of actually enjoyed it and learned something if she was a little nicer! lol
                        I got an E on my IT exam, I just had no idea what my teacher was saying, he had a really strong accent, just couldn't understand a word lol
                        Ahhh fun days! lol

Comment

When I was a little girl I somehow got Heath Robinson and Teddy Robinson confused

The mind boggles!
                          maybe you thought they where brother and sister jacqueline.

the worst teacher i had was mr gordon.
                          he took me for metalwork,3 consecutive periods.

he was so serious,he would fire the duster at you,and also hit you over the knuckles with a ruler.OUCH!!

never knew they taught sewing

loved P E all that running around.
                          liked athletics the best.
                          p.e. my fave subject.

also liked woodwork which was also 3 successive periods.

made a table which i still have thats near 21 yrs ago,its my pride and joy.
                          would be read annoyed if it got damaged or stole.
                          never knew sewing was taught amethyst.
                          don't remember it when i was at school.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                            ...made a table which i still have thats near 21 yrs ago,its my pride and joy....
                            I don't still have anything I made at school. But you did remind me of the wooden 'maze' I made for an exam. We all had to put our finished products in a big sack, believe it or not. I remember hearing mine hit the bottom of the sack and divide into many pieces.

Comment

My memory which haunts me is the time when as a very nervous and timid youngster I sat in the class waiting for my turn to come round as the teacher pointed to sums on the board and we had to give the answer pronto. As my turn got nearer and nearer I got so frightened that when I was supposed to answer I just froze. The next thing I was aware of was the whole class was laughing because I had peed myself and there was a little puddle on the floor beneath my seat! I was only about 6 at the time but I remember it vividly.
                              I have however, always been very good at maths and eventually became a bookkeeper/accountant.
                              All the world is mad except thee and me and even thee's a little odd!

Comment

Art and Graphics were my favourite subjects at school. I was always pretty good at those. I remember feeling very smug once when our maths teacher - in something of a rage - was trying to get the correct answer to something he had taught us in the previous lesson (I can't remember what it was now, but the answer was '2-Pye-r') out of his class of students. He made every one stand up in turn as he went round the room demanding the answer. No-one was getting it right so they all remained standing. About halfway round as he reached the back of the class (where I was) and shouted my name to stand up - I stood up. "What's the answer?" "2-Pye-r!" "Thank you, sit down!" - I sat down. Then he went back round all of the others and demanded they repeat it over and over before they were allowed to sit down again. I was never a swot, but that was quite satisfying as I avoided being humiliated, and I've never forgotten it. Although I've long forgotten what '2-Pye-r' was the answer to. Probably what a Yorkshireman and his mate ask for at lunchtime in a pub! (I'm here all week!)
                                "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Working...
                                X