• Show
Clear All

Re: school days

Area of a Circle or summat

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
      Area of a Circle or summat
      Ta! I'll remember that next time I'm shopping for circles.
      "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Maxi View Post
        Art and Graphics were my favourite subjects at school. I was always pretty good at those. I remember feeling very smug once when our maths teacher - in something of a rage - was trying to get the correct answer to something he had taught us in the previous lesson (I can't remember what it was now, but the answer was '2-Pye-r') out of his class of students. He made every one stand up in turn as he went round the room demanding the answer. No-one was getting it right so they all remained standing. About halfway round as he reached the back of the class (where I was) and shouted my name to stand up - I stood up. "What's the answer?" "2-Pye-r!" "Thank you, sit down!" - I sat down. Then he went back round all of the others and demanded they repeat it over and over before they were allowed to sit down again. I was never a swot, but that was quite satisfying as I avoided being humiliated, and I've never forgotten it. Although I've long forgotten what '2-Pye-r' was the answer to. Probably what a Yorkshireman and his mate ask for at lunchtime in a pub! (I'm here all week!)
        2 pie r is the circumference of a circle, 2 pie r^2 is the area of a circle.

Knew my O level and A level Maths would come in useful one day
        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Danke schon, Herr Grunwald.

I learn something old every day!
          "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Miss Makin was a true battleaxe, she was so very cruel and picked on me terribly due to recently moving there and having a different accent, she regularily said I had to talk 'properly'.
            Numerous times I tried and tired to change the way I spoke but I couldn't so I dreaded when it was my turn to read out loud a passage from a book that we all were asked to do!.

The nicest was our science teacher, she was due to retire, so when we were doing our final exam she wrote all the answers on the blackboard and got one of us to keep 'look out' incase another teacher looked as though she was going to come in!.
            She obviously wanted to retire knowing we all passed, and we did!.

Comment

my metalwork teacher was awful bad tempered.
              mr gordon he was called.that was in high school.
              most of my primary school teachers where dead on.
              my fave was mr barriskall he was always so keen and willing to help.
              he really cared about his pupils.
              the one i did not like was mr abraham for some reason he loved pulling up to the front of the class by the ear and i did nothing wrong.
              he knew my dad so maybe he was punishing me for soething my old man did to him.
              Last edited by darren; 18-01-2011, 03:24.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Marcella View Post
                Miss Makin was a true battleaxe, she was so very cruel and picked on me terribly due to recently moving there and having a different accent, she regularily said I had to talk 'properly'.
                Numerous times I tried and tired to change the way I spoke but I couldn't so I dreaded when it was my turn to read out loud a passage from a book that we all were asked to do!.

The nicest was our science teacher, she was due to retire, so when we were doing our final exam she wrote all the answers on the blackboard and got one of us to keep 'look out' incase another teacher looked as though she was going to come in!.
                She obviously wanted to retire knowing we all passed, and we did!.
                that is sad that miss makin picked on you because of your accent.
                an accent is a part of who you are and where you come from.
                did she ever apologise to you marcella.
                im sure the thought of you going to her class made u really scared and nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by salemsmine View Post
                  Who can remember the teachers you loved and hated, what subjects did you love or hate and the fashion, tv programmes and the music you loved when you were at school, remember the school disco. from salemsmine.
                  Great thread idea O.P - all great questions indeed no doubts

Everything about my School day's where great from TV to going to School. I'll not same names but at both Secondary Schools - the art and Cookery Teachers were amazing as was a temporary Drama Teacher I the First Year who promised to write to about 6 of us (but sadly never did)/ Fashion .... I just loved all the 80s and 90s and 80s to 90s Music too and too many great TV Programmes of the era too!

80sChav

Comment

There was a science teacher in the comprehensive I went to, who was a heavy smoker. Should he catch anybody smoking, he would take any packet of cigarettes off them. Give them a good b*ll*cking, then tell them to collect the packet on Friday afternoon. You would get the packet back, minus any cigarettes. He had smoked them. Individual cigarettes would simply be confiscated. He was a brilliant science teacher who did not suffer fools gladly.
                    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Surely he would get in trouble smoking them as they are not actually his.

I remember teachers taking other stuff from pupils and they would get it back at the end of the day and kids passing letters between each other and if the teachers seen what was going on ud be asked to hand it over or even read it out.lol

Originally posted by marc View Post
                      there was a science teacher in the comprehensive i went to, who was a heavy smoker. Should he catch anybody smoking, he would take any packet of cigarettes off them. Give them a good b*ll*cking, then tell them to collect the packet on friday afternoon. You would get the packet back, minus any cigarettes. He had smoked them. Individual cigarettes would simply be confiscated. He was a brilliant science teacher who did not suffer fools gladly.

Comment

Darren, yes and no. This was in the late seventies/early eighties. No PC mob then. You were not supposed to have cigarettes under the age of sixteen. They would not dare tell their parents.
                        Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

I think that it is fair to say I loved most subjects par the Sciences - which I don't believe in in terms of Science and thankfully got out of it as a result of moving Schools in the 3rd Year and I just had to do General Science - though my Form Teacher being a Science Teacher helped too as he wasn't the kind to ram "his own subject" at you and portrtay it as 'the be akll and everything"\

At both Schools I went to though - I think I was lucky to have two very good Art Teachers who I'd term as equaly good and 2 great Geography Teachers too who knew Geography was a field I was good at who I would say was equal too and 2 great Cookery Teachers (the 2hnd lady just being a tad better than the first one). Having such luck is unusual I think!

I will always be thankful - though my first High school was "well rough" and the 2nd not rough, that I went to School in the era I did and defintley not now what with all thwe Red-Tape and the like that is so (as has been said by a friend on another Forum I visit0 who is only in his early 20s - that say's so much about life! Phew m I glad I grew up in the era I did - it was no way perfect but meeting these so called friends at primary and hoping that they would be friends in Secondary taught me so much about life as did my first school in general - I hated and loved it in equal measures but I am so glad I can say what I am now and I am my own person ... not following/being like them, because I know that a lot from my 2 and a bit years there did nothing upon leaving School par in all probability carry on bullying people etc as they had at School. Thankfuly learning this chapter so early in life was an amazingly great lesson indeed to learn which equalled any School Subject too

80sChav

Comment

You don't believe in science ?

Comment

I had a dream before I got up this morning about the boy in primary school I had a crush on.Well we held hands I was chuffed

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                                I had a dream before I got up this morning about the boy in primary school I had a crush on.Well we held hands I was chuffed
                                This is similar for me - every time I see a pic of Judith Durham, I have denied for months now why I love/adore her so much but now accept that the reason is cos of this girl I used to know who taunted me into being her Boyfriend then either dumped me or insisted on "lets play pretend" so we never was Boy and Girlfriend

Let's just say though that this girl through her name and trials and tribulations she brought me/caused me brought me "bundles of Joy" with the clue in the name

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                                X