school days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: school days

Roly poly, briliant!...Roll down a hill and when you reach the bottom tend to all the cuts and bruises and then clean off all the mud and dogmuck GREAT FUN!
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by Jemima View Post
      I can remember at my village infant school a large 'mobile' classroom arriving, it caused a bit of excitement as our school was a very old Victorian one so it was a bit of a novelty having such a 'modern' classroom amongst the old buildings. I have fond memories of our infant school, it was a few minutes walk from my home and backed on to a sloping woodland, I can still to this day (I'm in my 40's now) recall the smell of the old wood and disinfectant, it was a nice smell. A highlight for me was milk time... I used to love getting the little glass half pint bottles of milk, one day I accidentally swallowed a fly whilst doing a roly poly at playtime but soon got over it as it meant they gave me my milk early to wash it down lol
      Aussie kids were also given milk in small bottles Jemima. We used to make up games using the left over bottle tops.

Comment

IIRC our outdoors wooden classrooms were referred to as "Demountables". They weren't on wheels but were raised and had steps up to them.

I always enjoyed my lessons in those as it felt like you were in a shed, one of ours had a pet gerbil in a cage in. Not sure why I remember that but I do. I also remember some specific events (i'e writing particular stories) in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
          IIRC our outdoors wooden classrooms were referred to as "Demountables". They weren't on wheels but were raised and had steps up to them.

I always enjoyed my lessons in those as it felt like you were in a shed, one of ours had a pet gerbil in a cage in. Not sure why I remember that but I do. I also remember some specific events (i'e writing particular stories) in them.

True Mulletino, we had a lesson/subject (dunno if it was unique to my chool) called Enviromemtal studies that was set a good distance away from school on it's own complex and I loved this lesson as it was like a mix of Gardening, Horticultal, may-be Animal Studies (not sure there) as well as it being a branch/off-shot of Science too.

We used to walk up over a humped backed hill in a residential street or cut through the School Fields somehow to get to it and en-route we all called at one of those tiny little sweet shops that used to be the norm too. To add moe intrigue to it - that shop was like in a V-Shape in the middle of the Road with Shelves etc on both sides if that makes sense in how I have said it - just as it was a well wierd desgined place you see but not very often. Sadly it is a Private House now - but when I think back (as I am) or pass the place it sure sure makes me feel sad now indeed, as the School has gone for housing too and I am only talking 25/30 or may-be 20 years a-go as I remember it or that was roughly when it was bulldozed. When you think too it wa allmost an Agrigultural Centre and kids have nought these day's - let alone fields or Havens like that it makes you feel lucky to of been there .... but yeh sad too reflecting on it

Talking of Metal-work etc - when you had your tie thin side out did they make you tuck it all in the Shirt and (as at other times in like Maths and English they frowned on this) so in "softer leessons" like Practicals you tucked both parts of the tie in to show just the knot - to get 1 up on the Teachers!!? We sure did .... and at times it worked!!

80sChav

Comment

The first PCs that ran Windows 95. Originally for kids in Y6 but they let me use them at times. They would gradually replace the Acorn Archimedes.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
              I lay in bed unable to sleep last night and started to think about my primary school, i started painting a mental portrait of every room and corridor and 50 years on i was able to recall every detail, wierd really as most days i can't recall my own name.
              I left school nearly a quarter of a century ago, and even now I sometimes feel as if my father is about to tell me to get out of bed and go to school at 8.00 am on the dot, and the irony is that my father has been dead for 21 years! As an adult, to a certain degree I feel more like a free spirit, and I would have gone onto further education if it wasn't for the de ja vu feel that school had for me.

I hate having that de ja vu feeling towards the area that used to I live in, especially that titan of so-called community spirit - the local school. I stopped taking local newspapers because I was sick to death of reading about people I went to school with either committing crime or being victims of one.
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                The first PCs that ran Windows 95. Originally for kids in Y6 but they let me use them at times. They would gradually replace the Acorn Archimedes.
                I recall this programme upon my 2nd stint/attempt at College in 1995 and daftly thought at the time Windows 95 = the Year 1995, just like Jarvis from Pulp sang Disco 2000 in 1995 ..... which is equally as crazy on reflection!!

I can barely recall the Computers at school that we had - though they'd probably be the "old BBC Micro" no doubt, and I can just about recall them at College in 1995 as so wth sides where you put the Floppy Disc in and we still had certain Drives like A and D, that served quick saving of ocuments etc etc and lesser so for the other one (though too I can not recall which was which)!!

On the subject of Computers and school connections and the sad passing of George A. Cooper as Mr Griffiths, I fondly recall - not because it was Grange Hill - but as what it was about - a man of an older Generation asking a Pupil (namley Akik Raschim) in Series 13 about what does this Computer do and poor Erick fidgiting about with the thing not knowing even then what to do with the "said machine" ..... this too was "only" 1989/1990, but seems such innocent times indeed1!

80sChav

Comment

Yes, Windows 95 did come out in 1995!

They used The Rolling Stones song Start Me Up to promote it.
                  Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                    Roly poly, briliant!...Roll down a hill and when you reach the bottom tend to all the cuts and bruises and then clean off all the mud and dogmuck GREAT FUN!
                    Ha ha Tex, I think your imagination has run away with you there, I never said it was down a hill, let alone that there were cuts and bruises and DOG MUCK involved, you do have a filthy mind

Comment

Originally posted by Jemima View Post
                      Ha ha Tex, I think your imagination has run away with you there, I never said it was down a hill, let alone that there were cuts and bruises and DOG MUCK involved, you do have a filthy mind
                      Oh, just recalling what a roly poly was like for a young Tex

Comment

I had a feeling that's what you were doing, hope it didn't get too mucky

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                          Yes, Windows 95 did come out in 1995!

They used The Rolling Stones song Start Me Up to promote it.
                          I recall being extremely irritated by that !!!

I always hated that track .. then Microsoft go and use it and paid the Stones millions£ as well !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Windows 95 and 98 used to crash all the time. The first stable version of Windows was XP.

Comment

Few playground games...... Hopscotch, statues, tag, blind mans bluff, penny toss, conkers, keepy uppy, spin the bottle, truth or dare, marbles,

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                                Windows 95 and 98 used to crash all the time. The first stable version of Windows was XP.
                                Yes, I really liked XP!
                                Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
                                X