Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: school days

Default Re: school days

I lay in bed unable to sleep last night and started to think about my primary school, i started painting a mental portrait of every room and corridor and 50 years on i was able to recall every detail, wierd really as most days i can't recall my own name.
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

MY PRIMARY SCHOOL WHICH I ATTENDED 79 TO ABOUT 85 OR 86

WHEN I WAS THERE IT HAD A FEW MOBILE CLASSROOMS NOT SURE IT STILL DOES.

IT STILL HAS HUGE AREAS FOR SPORTS.

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Darren, mobile classrooms ...are they actually static to accomodate overspill or do they actually move between other schools, i have to say i never heard of mobile classrooms.
    Your school looks just like mine did and probably hundreds of others, i reckon they all came out of a mould a bit like the countries hospitals and police stations.

My Infant school had mobile classrooms - there was already one there when I started, and my class moved into a second one after our old classroom was being decorated. When I went back for a reunion in the mid 1990s, they had been replaced by an extension to the main building - that picture reminds me of that school.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

I can remember at my village infant school a large 'mobile' classroom arriving, it caused a bit of excitement as our school was a very old Victorian one so it was a bit of a novelty having such a 'modern' classroom amongst the old buildings. I have fond memories of our infant school, it was a few minutes walk from my home and backed on to a sloping woodland, I can still to this day (I'm in my 40's now) recall the smell of the old wood and disinfectant, it was a nice smell. A highlight for me was milk time... I used to love getting the little glass half pint bottles of milk, one day I accidentally swallowed a fly whilst doing a roly poly at playtime but soon got over it as it meant they gave me my milk early to wash it down lol

Roly poly, briliant!...Roll down a hill and when you reach the bottom tend to all the cuts and bruises and then clean off all the mud and dogmuck GREAT FUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Jemima View Post
    I can remember at my village infant school a large 'mobile' classroom arriving, it caused a bit of excitement as our school was a very old Victorian one so it was a bit of a novelty having such a 'modern' classroom amongst the old buildings. I have fond memories of our infant school, it was a few minutes walk from my home and backed on to a sloping woodland, I can still to this day (I'm in my 40's now) recall the smell of the old wood and disinfectant, it was a nice smell. A highlight for me was milk time... I used to love getting the little glass half pint bottles of milk, one day I accidentally swallowed a fly whilst doing a roly poly at playtime but soon got over it as it meant they gave me my milk early to wash it down lol
    Aussie kids were also given milk in small bottles Jemima. We used to make up games using the left over bottle tops.

IIRC our outdoors wooden classrooms were referred to as "Demountables". They weren't on wheels but were raised and had steps up to them.

I always enjoyed my lessons in those as it felt like you were in a shed, one of ours had a pet gerbil in a cage in. Not sure why I remember that but I do. I also remember some specific events (i'e writing particular stories) in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletino View Post
    IIRC our outdoors wooden classrooms were referred to as "Demountables". They weren't on wheels but were raised and had steps up to them.

I always enjoyed my lessons in those as it felt like you were in a shed, one of ours had a pet gerbil in a cage in. Not sure why I remember that but I do. I also remember some specific events (i'e writing particular stories) in them.

True Mulletino, we had a lesson/subject (dunno if it was unique to my chool) called Enviromemtal studies that was set a good distance away from school on it's own complex and I loved this lesson as it was like a mix of Gardening, Horticultal, may-be Animal Studies (not sure there) as well as it being a branch/off-shot of Science too.

We used to walk up over a humped backed hill in a residential street or cut through the School Fields somehow to get to it and en-route we all called at one of those tiny little sweet shops that used to be the norm too. To add moe intrigue to it - that shop was like in a V-Shape in the middle of the Road with Shelves etc on both sides if that makes sense in how I have said it - just as it was a well wierd desgined place you see but not very often. Sadly it is a Private House now - but when I think back (as I am) or pass the place it sure sure makes me feel sad now indeed, as the School has gone for housing too and I am only talking 25/30 or may-be 20 years a-go as I remember it or that was roughly when it was bulldozed. When you think too it wa allmost an Agrigultural Centre and kids have nought these day's - let alone fields or Havens like that it makes you feel lucky to of been there .... but yeh sad too reflecting on it

Talking of Metal-work etc - when you had your tie thin side out did they make you tuck it all in the Shirt and (as at other times in like Maths and English they frowned on this) so in "softer leessons" like Practicals you tucked both parts of the tie in to show just the knot - to get 1 up on the Teachers!!? We sure did .... and at times it worked!!

80sChav