songs you haven't heard in ages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: songs you haven't heard in ages

There are far too many songs that I haven't heard in ages... too many to mention.
    However, since I have to type something down, I would have to say late 70's stuff.
    Well, I was born in 79; However I was allways more attached to 70's and 80's music, than this recent rubish from 2000's onwards.

I have most of the music I like, which is a lot.

So yeah, concluding... bettles, Simon and Garfunkel, that kind of stuff.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hooper68 View Post
      Great show from what I've heard even with the sound problems and the flying glasses of ****
      It was a decent gig but saw em in 96 at Maine Rd and they'll never better that. Stayed in the pub for Twisted Wheel and Reverend and The Makers but saw Kasabian and Oasis. Managed to avoid flying P**s. The sound problems didn't spoil it for me, still put on a crackin show and played for two hours. Curfew was 11pm but they played til 11.30. I'm not bothered about a refund but got a feeling Wifes sent off for one. Mercenary.
      "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Cabaret Voltaire ... Sensoria (filmed on the land where Meadowhall shopping centre Sheffield now stands!)
        YouTube - CABARET VOLTAIRE - SENSORIA

hell of a song....& video....for it's time (1984)
        sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

I used to listen to local FM radio a lot in the late '80s and early '90s, and I've recently been re-discovering some of the songs that these stations had a love affair with at the time, but didn't usually make it very far up the charts.

Among them are - 'Miss America' by The Big Dish, 'Runaways' by Dean Collinson, 'Jocelyn Square' by Love And Money, 'I Don't Mind At All' by Bourgeois Tagg, 'Sing' by Vivienne McKone, 'Streets Of Your Town' by The Go-Betweens.

I would add 'Typical!' by Frazier Chorus, but as Frazier Chorus are one of my favourites, I have heard this relatively recently.
          "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Maxi View Post
            I used to listen to local FM radio a lot in the late '80s and early '90s, and I've recently been re-discovering some of the songs that these stations had a love affair with at the time, but didn't usually make it very far up the charts.

Among them are - 'Miss America' by The Big Dish, 'Runaways' by Dean Collinson, 'Jocelyn Square' by Love And Money, 'I Don't Mind At All' by Bourgeois Tagg, 'Sing' by Vivienne McKone, 'Streets Of Your Town' by The Go-Betweens.
            All in bold on my IPod

Similar ones are
            'Honey Be Good' from The Bible;
            'The Truth' by The Real People;
            'The Happy Man' and 'The Longest Song' by Thomas Lang;
            'On The Air Tonight' by Southside Johnny (although he is a known artist, I can't find this particular song from 1989 *anywhere*);
            'United State' by The Lift;
            'This Is America' by Perfect Day;
            'Stormy Love' by Boy Meets Girl (better than 'Waiting for a Star To Fall') - all from that 1987-91 era when the good stuff never made the charts and the rubbish like Stock Aitken and Waterman was dominant.

Love and Money were superb. Also, a lot of Bruce Hornsby's stuff after 'The Way It Is' and John Farnham after 'You're The Voice', though people think they're one hit wonders.

I think we may have very similar memories from the late 80s, Maxi.

EDIT: Forgot to mention The Outfield, who existed solely for Americans who couldn't get over the break-up of the Police (The Outfield were a soundalike band, with a singer ver much like Sting and perfect reproduction of the Stewart Copeland drum sound).
            Last edited by stockportyears; 23-10-2010, 19:51.

Comment

Hi stockport. I've sent you a link to buy the Southside Johnny single online.

Its also available to buy on single and CD single on Amazon :
              https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...he+air&x=0&y=0
              Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Originally posted by stockportyears View Post
                All in bold on my IPod

Similar ones are
                'Honey Be Good' from The Bible;
                'The Truth' by The Real People;
                'The Happy Man' and 'The Longest Song' by Thomas Lang;
                'On The Air Tonight' by Southside Johnny (although he is a known artist, I can't find this particular song from 1989 *anywhere*);
                'United State' by The Lift;
                'This Is America' by Perfect Day;
                'Stormy Love' by Boy Meets Girl (better than 'Waiting for a Star To Fall') - all from that 1987-91 era when the good stuff never made the charts and the rubbish like Stock Aitken and Waterman was dominant.

Love and Money were superb. Also, a lot of Bruce Hornsby's stuff after 'The Way It Is' and John Farnham after 'You're The Voice', though people think they're one hit wonders.

I think we may have very similar memories from the late 80s, Maxi.

EDIT: Forgot to mention The Outfield, who existed solely for Americans who couldn't get over the break-up of the Police (The Outfield were a soundalike band, with a singer ver much like Sting and perfect reproduction of the Stewart Copeland drum sound).
                Great stuff. I've mentioned on the 'Playlists' thread that I recently made up a CD compilation (just for my own personal listening) of this music from that era, and I've included 'Honey Be Good' by The Bible, and 'Voices Of Babylon' by The Outfield on it.

I'll have to check out some of the others you mentioned. This stuff stood head-and-shoulders over most of the dross that topped the charts in the late '80s/early '90s.
                "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Just tune in to Planet Rock - the greatest radio station in the UK by far, and you'll be sure to hear many terrific songs you hadn't heard since the 70's. Deep Purple, led Zep, Uriah Heep, Jethro Tull etc. Irresistible!

Comment

'Girls Are Always Right' and 'Open Fire' by Any Trouble

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
                      Hi stockport. I've sent you a link to buy the Southside Johnny single online.

Its also available to buy on single and CD single on Amazon :
                      https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...he+air&x=0&y=0
                      Thanks 80s!

Can't buy the vinyl version as I've nothing to play it on, first time I've seen it available on CD, though. It isn't available to download anywhere. I really want to play it as a Lost Classic on Pure, the only 'copy' I ever had was taped off Key 103 in the 80s, with some DJ talking over the end, lol, so I'm going to count my pennies and try and get the 2nd hand CD.

Cheers!

Comment

I really miss a whole host of songs from 1990-1991. My favourite at the moment is Living Colour's 'Love Raises Its Ugly Head' (soul power mix). It's geet funky as owt!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGbJk-qyXCQ
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

I know this is going to sound really strange but I heard part of a song earlier which I can remember but can't think of who performed it or it's name. The only other small problem is the lyrics are quite hard to describe!

It's a mans voice and he's singing something like 'dodi di da dodi di da dody (about 3 times) pom pom!' Then he starts singing 'Ahhh Ahhh' getting higher and higher.

I don't know if the full song is rock, pop, folk, jazz or whether it's 70's or 80's - I just heard that bit and recognised it but don't know where from!

Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

I remember buying a record in 1970 that I played constantly, I absolutely loved the song and was completely hooked on it. It still has the same effect on me 40 years later and will always be a particular favourite of mine. The song in question, "Julie Do Ya Love Me" by White Plains has one of the catchiest melodies I have ever heard ,even if the lyrics are a little mushy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimand View Post
                              Just tune in to Planet Rock - the greatest radio station in the UK by far, and you'll be sure to hear many terrific songs you hadn't heard since the 70's. Deep Purple, led Zep, Uriah Heep, Jethro Tull etc. Irresistible!
                              I like Planet Rock to Cartimand........would be nice to hear a bit more Fairport or early Dylan occasionally......
                              Cheers
                              Sgt S

Comment

I was surprised to hear Kim Wild's version of You Keep Me Hanging On while listening to the radio a few months ago. It was the first time in over 20 years.

More recently I heard another 1980s song that I've not heard on the radio for yonks. I can't remember what it was but I have it in my music collection.
                                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                                X