Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beccabear67 View Post
    Donald, Where's Your Troosers?
    Unbelievably in the Christmas charts in as late as 1989 - similar to what Fiddler's Dram's "Daytrip to Bangor" was to 1979.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst
      Sunny Boney M on Hearts 70s
      That's a good song.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I think there was a Boney M Christmas album 'back in the day'. I was well into them with at least four LPs and a single (also a poster on the wall that came with one LP). The last album of theirs I got was trying to add a touch of ska and I was switching to 2-Tone purchases then. Mary's Boy Child is probably there most known Christmas song.
        My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

I used to listen to local FM radio a lot in the late '80s and early '90s, and I've recently been re-discovering some of the songs that these stations had a love affair with at the time, but didn't usually make it very far up the charts. mobdro 2022

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst
              I did like Ma Baker too
              Brown Girl in the Ring hardly gets any airtime, probably because it was a B-side originally.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post

Brown Girl in the Ring hardly gets any airtime, probably because it was a B-side originally.
                Yes, it was originally the B side. Rivers of Babylon started to drop down the charts but stations started to play the B side. It rose back up the charts but didn't quite reach the top spot. So it was still the B side even at number two in the charts. Surprised to hear it gets less play than their other hits.

Gotta go home was probably my favourite of theirs.

Comment

Okay, I'll chuck three off the top of my head. When I was an " infant" it seemed like these were on constantly.
                  Pass me by - Peggy Lee
                  Good morning starshine - Oliver
                  Don't let the rain fall down - The Serendipity Singers.

Yeah, I'm getting on a bit!

Comment

The PA system in my local Asda sometimes has some odd songs.

Today It's C'est Le Vie by Robbie Nevil & By Your Side by The Eurythmics, which I haven't heard outside of my music collection for years.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                      The PA system in my local Asda sometimes has some odd songs.

Today It's C'est Le Vie by Robbie Nevil & By Your Side by The Eurythmics, which I haven't heard outside of my music collection for years.
                      I still kind of like C'est la vie. Would it qualify as a guilty pleasure?

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy View Post

Yes, it was originally the B side. Rivers of Babylon started to drop down the charts but stations started to play the B side. It rose back up the charts but didn't quite reach the top spot. So it was still the B side even at number two in the charts. Surprised to hear it gets less play than their other hits.

Gotta go home was probably my favourite of theirs.
                        That's right - apparently, back in 1978 a DJ played the B-side by mistake. The listeners enjoyed it so much that other stations started to play it and it went back up the charts when Babylon was about to quit the Top 40. And it stayed there for 40 weeks in total back in 1978.

It was number four in my birth week charts.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy View Post
                          Good morning starshine - Oliver
                          Glibby-gloop-gloopy, nibby-nobby-noopy [sic] - a huge mondegreen. Now, what was all that about? More like Oliver Reed than Oliver to be honest!

And I assume that "Oliver" wasn't Oliver Twist the musical?

I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Glibby-gloop-gloopy, nibby-nobby-noopy [sic] - a huge mondegreen. Now, what was all that about? More like Oliver Reed than Oliver to be honest!

And I assume that "Oliver" wasn't Oliver Twist the musical?
                            Nope, it was actually from "Hair" so he was probably focusing more physically than lyrically. It's not one I play to be honest.

Comment

Ironic that it was from a musical, even though the act's name was also a name of one!
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Ironic that it was from a musical, even though the act's name was also a name of one!
                                That'll be the musical that your man Oliver Reed also appeared in as well. Also, if you're looking for meaningful lyrics, check out " oom pah pah " . The connections never stop?

Comment

Working...
                                X