Betta Bilda/Building sets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Linking bricks that aren't Lego

I had some that weren't Lego but that would fit together with Lego.

The studs didn't have holes in, but the blocks themselves were completely hollow.

They came in a large yellow tub about the size of a wastepaper basket. No idea what they were called, but they were nowhere near as good as Lego, and of course, were bought by family friend who thought they were close enough to Lego.

Comment

I remember Tyco in the 1980s released some bricks that would fit onto Lego's. Lego tried to sue but settled on Tyco only making the basic shapes of brick.

Newsround reported on this sometime in the 2nd half of the 1980s.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I used to have Better Blocks, they were American and my mum ordered them for me off QVC.
        They came in a yellow plastic tub.

Comment

Tente had a brief vogue in the UK around 1982-83 (? I can't be precise)
          They did several ranges: one similar to Lego basic sets, Space ("Astro"), Transport, Army, and latterly a range of Transformer-style sets ("Roblock")
          Above all, three ranges of waterline ship-building sets: grey warships, multicoloured merchant vessels and liners, and a futuristic set of ships which incorporated pieces from the Astro range.

There are always a good few examples for sale in eBay:
          http://toys.shop.ebay.co.uk/Construc...=p3286.c0.m282

They also produced, under the label Exin Castillos, brick sets purely designed for the building of castles,
          and Exin West, which only made Hollywood western towns
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMx9upBzFzY
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGWIe...eature=related
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73qQ8nX9-cs

What fascinated me at the time (though I didn't buy any *then*) was a feature unique to Tente which I saw demonstrated at Hamleys 1982-ish:
          motorised waterline ship models, which would glide over a smooth surface, as if going through water. *Without wheels*

This was such an odd memory, and never seen again, that I was by early this century starting to doubt my recall, until I went hunting.
          I now have three examples. They work by having a vibrating motor and backward-pointing bristles barely sticking out under the ship.
          No youtube video, that I can find...
          "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

The model that came with the Kelloggs offer was a small moon buggy, I guess in the Astro range. It also came with a catalogue of other sets, I remember there was a range of robot kits.

I would say the offer was around 1985-7, as the friend mentioned above moved into the area in mid 1985.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Can't help on this one but it has sparked a memory for me. I am sure I once had a building made out of bricks that weren't Lego. I literally only have one snap shot picture of a memory. Grey and possibly pink? blocks probably about the same size as Lego...possibly a house with more intricate bits on it that were dark red- bits much more intricate and fine than you would get in Lego. I could be totally wrong as my parents can't remember me having anything like this and think it might have been a toy lighthouse that I apparently had but which I have absolutely no memory of what so ever. No idea, but either way I'd love to know what this thing in my memory is.
              Last edited by Trickyvee; 27-07-2010, 22:09.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

That could have been 'Betta Bilda', produced by Airfix.

There was also something called Philiform which was very much like the 'Technic' Lego

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                  That could have been 'Betta Bilda', produced by Airfix.

There was also something called Philiform which was very much like the 'Technic' Lego
                  Looks like it could have been a Betta Bilda thing. I just wish I could remember more! I've had a quick google and found a set that at least has similar coloured pinky bricks.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

I've merged this thread along with two others to get all the info in one place.
                    Heather

Comment

Re: Betta Bilda/Building sets

Comment

Re: Betta Bilda

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
                        Having seen this pic I'm even more convinced it was betta bilda. My snap shot memory has lots of those little cross hatch pieces in it.
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

Re: Betta Bilda/Building sets

Originally posted by Alan Saxby View Post
                          Hi to All, have just found this site and registered after spending ages searching the net for the name of a building set I had many years ago. I originally thought that it was called "betta build" but have managed to find some info about this and am now wondering if I had something different! Vague recollections of a grey base with holes to place steel rods into and white plastic panels of bricks that slotted down into the gaps between the rods, with windows and doorframes of a similar nature. .
                          That would have been Bayko:

http://www.melright.com/bayko/

Comment

Working...
                          X