Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: motorbike memories

Default Re: motorbike memories

I used to have a B reg Honda Express 2 too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honda Express (2).jpg  

A Yamaha QT50; still have this 1986 model. I also had a 1982 model. Shaft driven and one very well designed, tough moped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yamaha QT50.jpg  

The Yamaha 'fizzies', as in FS1E, was great fun, and mine took me to many places, too fast, for its frame and it's a shame the brakes were not discs as they could be slow to engage. The extra speed and indicators were a step up from my twist and go Honda express.

1982 Honda Urban Express Deluxe

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1188.jpg  

16-year-olds can only ride a 50cc moped nowadays, to ride a proper motorbike you need to be at least 17 and to ride any size you need to be 21.
    Someone told me once though that when they were young you could ride any size at 16.
    The restrictions have been altered due to motorbikes becoming more dangerous over the years because of the increase in cars and HGV's on the road.
    Can anyone tell me when the law got changed?
    "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Can't remember then all but here's a list of most:
    Honda CX500, Honda CB 250, Honda CB350, Yamaha RD250, Yamaha XS450, KawasaLTD450, Yamaha XJ 650, BMW 1000, Yamaha Majesty, CZ 250, MZ 250, MZ 350, Yamaha Townmate, James Captain (bought in boxes), Kawasaki GT 550, Honda CB 125. That makes 16, some titles may be a bit off and there may have been a few more but memory fails me, I 've never tried to list them before. Maybe next time I'll try and list cars.

Certainly after 1963 as I took my test then at 16 on a 197 cc. When I passed I bought a 250.
    Last edited by old codger; 19-06-2015 at 22:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Potterton View Post
    The Yamaha 'fizzies', as in FS1E, was great fun, and mine took me to many places, too fast, for its frame and it's a shame the brakes were not discs as they could be slow to engage. The extra speed and indicators were a step up from my twist and go Honda express.
    One dealer near to my then home in Woodford Green, Essex, stopped selling this type of super moped because within a week of sale most were back with a smashed front end and a rider in hospital!!

Oh, and a Lambretta

I had a 1977 Puch Maxi(50cc and unrestricted) with pedals in 1994. It was good for 44 mph and would overtake the guys riding their Yamaha DT50s and Kawasaki AR50s to school. I got a year out of it before coming home from college on a dark and wet November night. I swerved around a Ford Sierra that shot out of a side turn and as a result, stuffed the bike into the back of a parked furniture lorry. I smashed my leg in 2 places and bust 3 fingers in the crash. The Puch got bent in half and the fuel tank split, soaking me in petrol. I would be on a bike today if it wasn't for the sheer amount of cars and lorries(complete with gormless and selfish drivers) clogging up the roads.