Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: haunted house

Originally posted by Dregg View Post
    I had "Which Witch" back in the 70's. Same concept.
    Yep Which Witch?(MB games) was the American version and was under licence to Denys Fisher in the UK and was identical.Containing four rooms:Broom Room,Witches' Kitchen,Spell Cell and Bat's Ballroom(the finish where you ascended the stairs to win)( a later edition (1974) went for three internal rooms and you started in an exterior courtyard).The main setback to winning were the two evil witch cards :'Ghoulish Gertie drops it down the chimney 'set things in train via the whammy ball (as in mousetrap), such as a broom to knock you down in Broom Room or bowl you over on the stairs in Bat's Ballroom;another witch changes you into a mouse and a third witch' Glenda the Good' helped you along.

This was the first genuine haunted house game to be launched (1971) the same year as Scooby Doo.I was seven at the time and was a fan of both.During those weird years of the early 70s there were other haunted house games such as Shoot a Spook(1973) and Scream Inn (circa 1975)but they were poor by comparison(Scream Inn especially with its rotating coffins under the floorboards was boring in the extreme).Yet as mentioned on another thread I think the freebie from Cross and Blackwell and their Alphabetti Spaghetti brand(circa 1973) was the dogs b*llocks.
    Last edited by Heather74; 12-08-2008, 16:06.

Comment

Denys Fisher Haunted House

The classic board game has been reissued many times over the years, and has many names (Haunted house, Which Witch?, Ghost Castle, among others)

But the finest edition was the first edition (1971)

Click image for larger version

Name:	haunted house 1971.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	258370

Name:	hh1971 2.jpg
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	258371

Name:	hh 1971 2.jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	258372

(not to be confused with the superior Ideal version)

Name:	1490280856_911bc1e1b0_o.jpg
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	258373

Comment

Re: Denys Fisher Haunted House

In 1975, The game was slightly modified

Name:	hauntedhouse1975.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	258374

Comment

Haunted House & Which Witch? are near enough identical, but Ghost castle differs slightly. Not sure on more modern versions.
          The Ideal game was almost an entirely different (and highly sort after) game, with sound effects.

Comment

See this thread for further details
            https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/b...ted-house.html
            Edit Note and see here on the main website.
            Do You Remember Haunted House? Board games from the 70s, 80s and 90s

Which Witch? (with same box artwork)

Name:	WhichWitchBox.jpg
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	258375

The more modern Ghost Castle

Name:	ghost_castle.jpg
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	258376
            Last edited by Heather74; 19-02-2009, 14:25. Reason: Linking to main website

Comment

Which Witch? was just the US version of Haunted House (hence the similarity).

This is a game I have very fond memories of and one I keep intending to pick up from t'Bay at some point. Trouble is that it's hard to find a really good condition one. The fact that you had to assemble it each time you played means it got a lot of wear and tear (especially around the staircase) and so you tend to find they've been taped up at some point. You almost never get a decent box, either - they're always bashed up.

I'm sure I've said this before but it also seems to be one of those games that holds nostagic memories for a lot of other folk as the price has been pretty high for the last 4 or 5 years. You can easily pay £50+ for a complete version.

Comment

You may have to buy two sets (expensive !) so that you can mix and match broken and warn parts ... my Gran bought me this game when I was about 5 and I believe that she still has the game stored away in a cupboard under the stairs ... the last time I ever used it I found that the "floor / base board" hard warped abit because of changes in room temp and I think the walls did not clip down to the board properly because of this ... this game is high maintenance ...

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HAUNTED-HOUSE-DENYS-FISHER-1970-DUST-JACKET-HALLOWEEN_W0QQitemZ360091720834QQcmdZViewItem?hash =item360091720834&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A 2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

This one, currently on t'bay is the best condition Haunted House I've seen but with a price to match. Not sure I can really justify that sort of money for a board game

Comment

Haunted House Board Game Denys Fisher 1971 VERY RARE on eBay, also Vintage Games Pre-1980, Board Traditional Games, Games, Toys Games (end time 23-Dec-08 17:49:48 GMT)

This one looks OK and at 1/2 the price ...

Comment

Remember this game well..we had the first version,was one of my favourite games. I went through a spell of buying my old childhood toys on ebay but the prices this one usually fetches is somewhat out of my range..having said that i did pay £55 for a magic roundabout carousel.

Tass

Comment

"Haunted House" was sold as "Which Witch" in the U.S. There was a 1971 version and a 1975 version. Likewise, there were 2 versions of Which Witch. Each game has a web site dedicated to it (linked in the line above) that attempt to explain this cauldrony conundrum.

Comment

There's a web site deadicated to the 1962 Haunted House game at IDEAL Haunted House.

Also, if you get a chance, visit this site about the Italian version of the game called Il Castello incantato. Beautiful game.

Comment

Another one for Denys Fisher/Spooky game board fans

Spooks

Description

The Snapper is Placed 3-4 Feet From the Game Board.

A Magnetic Ball is Placed On the Snapper.

Press Down and Fire.

The Highest Score Wins.

Contents

1 Colourful Metal Board.

1 Snapper.

2 Magnetic Balls.
                            Heather

Comment

I remember Haunted House!
                              It did indeed have four rooms, and you threw a dice to move through the rooms. If you landed on certain places, you drew a card - I think with Glenda the Good, you got another throw of the dice, I think there might've been one for "miss a turn," but if you drew Wanda the Wicked, you had to drop the Whammy Ball down the chimney, and if your character was hit and knocked over, you had to go back to the start. There were four plastic characters - two boys (red and green, I think!) and two girls (blue and yellow).

Comment

I had this, or something similar. Did dropping the marble cause a section of wall to swing up?

Comment

Working...
                                X