raleigh striker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raleigh striker

i remember these, they came in green and silver and then black .....but does anybody remember them being produced by raleigh in red ?????

I had a Striker in my younger years, mine was one of the silver ones. I do however remember having a Red Raleigh bike that looked just like a big Striker. It was infact a Raleigh Grifter, the same bike but on a bigger scale. If i recall correctly there was a 3rd bike in that series that was somrthing like a Comando or something like that. They all had the twist grip gears and the plastic handle grips that gave your thumbs blisters lol.

To cut a long story short im almost sure they never made one in red

Woff

Comment

dplume, i believe a had a raliegh striker gs in black with a red sort of tribal pattern going through it but i dont think ive ever seen one in red. hope that helps ya

Comment

A mate of mine had a Raliegh Striker. I was so jealous, as it had black, plastic 'pretend' suspension between the front forks and handlebars. Silver, his. And yes, it did seem like a 'starter' Grifter.

I really wanted one, but had to suffice with my cousin's girly bike. Still, at least my dad removed the basket, bell and mudguards, painted over its pink colour with thick gloss, black and then stuck 'Satan' transfers down the side of it.

Comment

God yes I can't believe people had the same bikes as me, Striker then Grifter.

My Striker was black, and I'm sure I had stabilisers to begin with. Maybe mine was faulty from the start lol, but it made this 'click-clack' noise as you pedalled. Great rugged little bike.

Then I went onto the Grifter which I thought was so cool.One thing that sticks in my mind to this day is it's Sturmey-Archer gears. My best-mate had a BMX at the time (his was called an 'Aero' anyon remember that?) and I remember always being able to outrun him because of the high gears on my Grifter.

Comment

Originally posted by Woffski
            I had a Striker in my younger years, mine was one of the silver ones. I do however remember having a Red Raleigh bike that looked just like a big Striker. It was infact a Raleigh Grifter, the same bike but on a bigger scale. If i recall correctly there was a 3rd bike in that series that was somrthing like a Comando or something like that. They all had the twist grip gears and the plastic handle grips that gave your thumbs blisters lol.

To cut a long story short im almost sure they never made one in red

Woff
            I think you mean a Raleigh Boxer, that came in blue, and in red, it was the model below the Striker for younger kids, but it didn't have any gears. I had a silver Striker that had back brakes which worked if you pedalled backwards.
            BIG G

Comment

Stirkers DID come in red because I had one. I was ready to progress to a Grifter (also in red) but then Raleigh bought out the Burner and the Grifter was no longer desired.

Comment

The first models of Grifter were red or blue as were their little brothers, the Boxers. I think when they re-issued them in about 1980 the silver and black ones appeared. They also had a longer rear mud guard which wasn't as cool.

I only remember the striker in green, but because of its back-pedal brake it wa brilliant, or should I say ace, at skids.

There was also a bomber and a commabo which had cow-horn handle bars but they were really just early mountain bikes.

Comment

Hey maybe I am way out there but I remember a friend having a striker that you pedaled backwards for the back brake! Does anybody remember this?????????

Comment

Yes I do - there was no checking of speed like a conventional handlebar brake or the pedal of a car, it was an abrupt stop.
                    Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

Had a mate with a green Striker, back pedal brake. Quality hard as nails bike. My silver Grifter was a different story, I went through three set of front forks due to them being thin racer type forks and the Grifter weighing about three tons. It was trashed and sold for scrap in three years from new. Bah.

Went on to the Bomber after that, proper unbreakable it was.

Comment

Originally posted by drum1707
                        I think you mean a Raleigh Boxer, that came in blue, and in red, it was the model below the Striker for younger kids, but it didn't have any gears. I had a silver Striker that had back brakes which worked if you pedalled backwards.
                        Thats right, the Boxer was the really little one and the Comando came after the Grifter.

Comment

Re: raleigh striker

i still have the red strika with the black decals , it is the gs model and its the mark 2 , i have that one and a black one that is a true ratty , i also have a couple of commandos same as the strikas , and 7 grifters

Comment

yep, i had the silver striker too, and i loved it
                            but, after a while, i customized it with a tomahawk front wheel (my little brothers bike, which i wrote the back wheel off doing jumps :cry:)and other stuff, trying to be inventive

Comment

Green one for me. Wonder if they would be allowed to make a bike with a brake like that now? Not an easy thing to get on with if you were free wheeling and just wanted to reposition your legs. Thunk!

Comment

Working...
                              X