Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working with old soldiers

The Heroes….

Remember them when you went to start work in 70’s to maybe late eighties?

You started at a factory, pit, engineering plant or wherever and there was always a couple of quiet oldish guys pottering about.

Usually called Alf or Eddie and seemed to always have a Woodbine behind their ear and a big striped mug of tea in their fist, generally found behind the stores talking about pigeons or growing leeks.
    And ‘Oh So Boring’... like hadn’t they ever done anything exciting in their dull little lives?

Then one Sunday Morning you’d be hanging round in town waiting for pub to open for a mender and you’d hear brass band music and realise it was Remembrance Day.
    As you watched all these people marched past you suddenly recognised the same people from work with a chestful of medals and, when back in on the Monday, you’d ask around after them and find out one was ex commando, another had done a frenzied attack against a machine gun post, another had carried a wounded man under heavy fire and yet another had killed two German sentries in a night time raid with a dagger!

Most of ‘em probably dead by now or eking out a state pension , does anyone else remember a time that they worked with Heroes?
    Last edited by Heather74; 05-09-2008, 13:06.

Re: Working with old soldiers

Aye.....as a kid I remember guys like this...... the last of these few fine men and women were still congnitive and in their prime.....good lads the lot of em....

Puts the kids of today to shame.

Comment

I was fortunate enough to provide medical cover at the Normandy Veterans rememberance parade and i was so proud of them, they talk of what they did but look at them selves as heroes , just doing a job.

True heroes

Comment

Every story...be it tv news, radio, paper.....what always amazes me with old soldiers/sailors/airmen is how they never 'really' talk about their experiences during the war...for many probably because they'd lost mates.

They all seem so modest about what they did; that it's what anyone would have done.......

I have no doubt that if the dark days of '39/40 were upon us again, where we were the only ones left, fighting alone against a looming invasion, then today's generation would throw down their Playstations & iPods.....

......and shove their hands in the air,as they walked off to the POW camps
        sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Working...
        X