Mettoy/Wembley Kites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mettoy/Wembley Kites

Back in '74, I had a plastic Kite made by Mettoy under the Wembley name (made Footballs too).
    It was part of a range of kites that featured a Bird, Helicopter, genie, etc..

The one I owned was the Vampire, and this so far is the only picture available..

However, the artist who drew this ad has used a little artistic license, and it does not look like the actual kite I owned.

Did anyone else own one of these kites?? Still own one??

Better still has anyone got a picture of their kite or my Vampire one??

Re: Mettoy/Wembley Kites

Great to see what the Mettoy Vampire kite looked like although only a drawing of it on the box. Surely a photo of one wil turn up sometime. I'll see if I can find anything in some of my magazines.

Comment

no but defo had Wembley footballs Sixtyten!

sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

[ATTACH]925[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]926[/ATTACH]

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

opened it in all its glory
            Attached Files
            Heather

Comment

Attached Files
              Heather

Comment

Woot!

Comment

Just to add to this a bit...

I had the barnstormer kite and loved it.

After that was destroyed by a very interesting bit of flying into a tree, I got another kite. This one was of a footballer which you could customise with stickers (?). It wasnt a stunt kite. Not sure which company made it so any help with a picture would be helpful!

Comment

Re: Mettoy/Wembley Kites i

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
                    Back in '74, I had a plastic Kite made by Mettoy under the Wembley name (made Footballs too).
                    It was part of a range of kites that featured a Bird, Helicopter, genie, etc..

The one I owned was the Vampire, and this so far is the only picture available..

Did anyone else own one of these kites?? Still own one??

Better still has anyone got a picture of their kite or my Vampire i
                    I had a sky diver one!! there was also a witch and a spaceman design too. mine crashed into a fence on the first day i had it!! (1976)

Comment

Same here - I had the Skydiver one... always dreamed of being a skydiver since being a kid, hence becoming a skydiver myself(!)

Comment

Comment

Comment

I did have a kite but not a Wembley/Mettoy (as far as I know). It was an arch shape with lots of multi-coloured streamers hanging off the flat bit of the arch and weirdly it had a cartoon picture of an air ship or 'blimp' on it. No idea who made it.
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

I definately had a couple of the barnstormer stunt kite. I think me and my mates must have gone through the entire range of the other kites as they were relatively cheap (didn't actually see the price of under a £1 on the advert originally). They were pretty flimsy and used to break as soon as they hit the ground, used to pop down the shops, buy another and away we go again.

In the end we had so many spare parts, we started to build our own.

Comment

Working...
                              X