Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Bruce Forsyth and his syrup

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NW england
    Posts
    1,035

    Default Bruce Forsyth and his syrup

    Who remembers when he came on the box in late seventies and had that wig on? What a sight - heh heh heh

    It looked like a ginger tom stuck on his head !

    Seemed even worse somehow cos of his silver tufts sticking out above his ears and on the back of his neck

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    7,880

    Default re: Bruce Forsyth and his syrup

    I do..How we laughed.. How we still laugh

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    460

    Default re: Bruce Forsyth and his syrup

    As much as I have a soft spot for Brucie, laughing is just about the last thing I do when he's on Strictly Come Dancing. It's just painful watching his 'jokes' die every time.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    co armagh n/ireland
    Posts
    14,951

    Default Re: Bruce Forsyth and his syrup

    yes i remember it well.haha.
    still find him funny even now.

    one of my all time fave entertainers game show host.

    a true gem is bruce.


    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Who remembers when he came on the box in late seventies and had that wig on? What a sight - heh heh heh

    It looked like a ginger tom stuck on his head !

    Seemed even worse somehow cos of his silver tufts sticking out above his ears and on the back of his neck

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    287

    Default Re: Bruce Forsyth and his syrup

    Bruce was great on The Generation Game, Play Your Cards Right and Price is Right. (Somebody has been watching a bit of Challenge TV recently)

    Not a fan of him on Strictly and his jokes often fall very flat but he is a true legend. Brucie Bonus!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    3,411

    Default Re: Bruce Forsyth and his syrup

    What was it about male celebrities and the embarrassment of wearing wigs and toupees in the early 1980s? - Brucie "came out" with his on a 1982 Play Your Cards Right (was on YT for a while), but then again, one got Paul Daniels, Lennie Bennett and others doing the same - I won't mention Wogan as it had been done several times before. Jokes about Allied Carpets being a barbers shop, etc. On the other hand, has there been any entertainer who was a bit "Duncan Goodhew" (i.e. no wig) in the head department?

    We don't go on about Stephen Mulhern and speculate about his hairstyle, do we?
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    2,655

    Default Re: Bruce Forsyth and his syrup

    Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    What was it about male celebrities and the embarrassment of wearing wigs and toupees in the early 1980s? - Brucie "came out" with his on a 1982 Play Your Cards Right (was on YT for a while), but then again, one got Paul Daniels, Lennie Bennett and others doing the same - I won't mention Wogan as it had been done several times before. Jokes about Allied Carpets being a barbers shop, etc. On the other hand, has there been any entertainer who was a bit "Duncan Goodhew" (i.e. no wig) in the head department?

    We don't go on about Stephen Mulhern and speculate about his hairstyle, do we?
    I think people are more accepting of wigs these days, you don't know why that person is wearing a wig..chemotherapy perhaps? also spectacles were often mocked but of-course now they are a trendy accessory. Wigs these days are often undetectable and are hand made to measure
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    932

    Default Re: Bruce Forsyth and his syrup

    When I was an apprentice (late 80s) there was a chap who worked in one of the other parts of the factory who used to walk past the Toolroom sometimes (there were doors at either end of the Toolroom which opened out into main corridor where all staff clocked in/out). He had a syrup, he must have bought it before his hair went grey as it was brown, it was also quite threadbare. His "nickname" was Wiggy, you knew when he was coming past due to the chorus of "syrrrruuuuuuuuupppp" that got chanted as he went past by the Toolmakers. I guess it wouldn't be tolerated now, although the guys did have to cover up their page three posters when they showed school kids around on school visits to the factory.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    2,655

    Default Re: Bruce Forsyth and his syrup

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletino View Post
    When I was an apprentice (late 80s) there was a chap who worked in one of the other parts of the factory who used to walk past the Toolroom sometimes (there were doors at either end of the Toolroom which opened out into main corridor where all staff clocked in/out). He had a syrup, he must have bought it before his hair went grey as it was brown, it was also quite threadbare. His "nickname" was Wiggy, you knew when he was coming past due to the chorus of "syrrrruuuuuuuuupppp" that got chanted as he went past by the Toolmakers. I guess it wouldn't be tolerated now, although the guys did have to cover up their page three posters when they showed school kids around on school visits to the factory.
    Tantamount to bullying, no it would not be allowed today.
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    3,411

    Default Re: Bruce Forsyth and his syrup

    Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    I think people are more accepting of wigs these days, you don't know why that person is wearing a wig..chemotherapy perhaps? also spectacles were often mocked but of-course now they are a trendy accessory. Wigs these days are often undetectable and are hand made to measure
    There is a 1979 episode of Coronation Street on YT where Fred Gee is mocked for wearing a wig in the Rovers - perhaps he would have been treated a lot differently had that episode been in the 1990s or later? Come to think of it. Reg Holdsworth tried one on as well and Curly Watts mocked him as well.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Similar Threads

  1. Bruce Li
    By arch stanton in forum Actors and actresses
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21-04-2010, 14:24
  2. Bruce Lee computer game
    By Rodney in forum Computer games
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18-02-2009, 01:02
  3. Rosehip Syrup
    By remember in forum Recently remembered...
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 10:41
  4. Bruce Springsteen 1975
    By gemmanewby in forum Music events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2008, 15:29

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •