Bruce Forsyth and his syrup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce Forsyth and his syrup

Who remembers when he came on the box in late seventies and had that wig on? What a sight - heh heh heh

It looked like a ginger tom stuck on his head !

Seemed even worse somehow cos of his silver tufts sticking out above his ears and on the back of his neck

re: Bruce Forsyth and his syrup

I do..How we laughed.. How we still laugh

Comment

re: Bruce Forsyth and his syrup

As much as I have a soft spot for Brucie, laughing is just about the last thing I do when he's on Strictly Come Dancing. It's just painful watching his 'jokes' die every time.

Comment

Re: Bruce Forsyth and his syrup

yes i remember it well.haha.
        still find him funny even now.

one of my all time fave entertainers game show host.

a true gem is bruce.

Originally posted by Danny View Post
        Who remembers when he came on the box in late seventies and had that wig on? What a sight - heh heh heh

It looked like a ginger tom stuck on his head !

Seemed even worse somehow cos of his silver tufts sticking out above his ears and on the back of his neck
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Bruce was great on The Generation Game, Play Your Cards Right and Price is Right. (Somebody has been watching a bit of Challenge TV recently)

Not a fan of him on Strictly and his jokes often fall very flat but he is a true legend. Brucie Bonus!

Comment

What was it about male celebrities and the embarrassment of wearing wigs and toupees in the early 1980s? - Brucie "came out" with his on a 1982 Play Your Cards Right (was on YT for a while), but then again, one got Paul Daniels, Lennie Bennett and others doing the same - I won't mention Wogan as it had been done several times before. Jokes about Allied Carpets being a barbers shop, etc. On the other hand, has there been any entertainer who was a bit "Duncan Goodhew" (i.e. no wig) in the head department?

We don't go on about Stephen Mulhern and speculate about his hairstyle, do we?
            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
              What was it about male celebrities and the embarrassment of wearing wigs and toupees in the early 1980s? - Brucie "came out" with his on a 1982 Play Your Cards Right (was on YT for a while), but then again, one got Paul Daniels, Lennie Bennett and others doing the same - I won't mention Wogan as it had been done several times before. Jokes about Allied Carpets being a barbers shop, etc. On the other hand, has there been any entertainer who was a bit "Duncan Goodhew" (i.e. no wig) in the head department?

We don't go on about Stephen Mulhern and speculate about his hairstyle, do we?
              I think people are more accepting of wigs these days, you don't know why that person is wearing a wig..chemotherapy perhaps? also spectacles were often mocked but of-course now they are a trendy accessory. Wigs these days are often undetectable and are hand made to measure
              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

When I was an apprentice (late 80s) there was a chap who worked in one of the other parts of the factory who used to walk past the Toolroom sometimes (there were doors at either end of the Toolroom which opened out into main corridor where all staff clocked in/out). He had a syrup, he must have bought it before his hair went grey as it was brown, it was also quite threadbare. His "nickname" was Wiggy, you knew when he was coming past due to the chorus of "syrrrruuuuuuuuupppp" that got chanted as he went past by the Toolmakers. I guess it wouldn't be tolerated now, although the guys did have to cover up their page three posters when they showed school kids around on school visits to the factory.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                  When I was an apprentice (late 80s) there was a chap who worked in one of the other parts of the factory who used to walk past the Toolroom sometimes (there were doors at either end of the Toolroom which opened out into main corridor where all staff clocked in/out). He had a syrup, he must have bought it before his hair went grey as it was brown, it was also quite threadbare. His "nickname" was Wiggy, you knew when he was coming past due to the chorus of "syrrrruuuuuuuuupppp" that got chanted as he went past by the Toolmakers. I guess it wouldn't be tolerated now, although the guys did have to cover up their page three posters when they showed school kids around on school visits to the factory.
                  Tantamount to bullying, no it would not be allowed today.
                  Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                    I think people are more accepting of wigs these days, you don't know why that person is wearing a wig..chemotherapy perhaps? also spectacles were often mocked but of-course now they are a trendy accessory. Wigs these days are often undetectable and are hand made to measure
                    There is a 1979 episode of Coronation Street on YT where Fred Gee is mocked for wearing a wig in the Rovers - perhaps he would have been treated a lot differently had that episode been in the 1990s or later? Come to think of it. Reg Holdsworth tried one on as well and Curly Watts mocked him as well.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                      These days, I always think "time for a haircut" when the hair on my head starts to look as if I am wearing a wig.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I had heard that Brucie had 3 syrups of varying lengths to simulate natural growth
                        I mean who was he trying to kid

Comment

In his book Going Solo, when Roald Dahl was on a ship to Africa as a young man he shared a cabin with a man who was bald and had a set of wigs to simulate hair growth.

He did this not just for vanity, but because he was living in the Punjab and reckoned the Sikhs would take a bald man seriously.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Semi42 View Post
                            I had heard that Brucie had 3 syrups of varying lengths to simulate natural growth
                            I mean who was he trying to kid
                            I think that it was Wogan who had that - rumour had it that he had three different ones to give the illusion that he has regular haircuts and grows back again.
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                            X