No announcement yet.

The day that's in it Princess Diana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had just come downstairs after bathing my daughter and the au pair came in and told me about it. Spent the rest of the day with the TV switched off.
    sigpic
    Mrs Oggy
    ~~~*~~~*~~~
    Count your friends amongst the stars....
    And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

The response over here was phenomenal, queues everywhere to sign books of condolences - possibly more cos we saw the effect it had on ordinary UK folk than Di meaning anything to us.
      Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

i remember that day i was sat at home and it came on the telly , i phoned my mum and she burst into tears , as did i , apparently when it came on the local ambulance station news no one said a word when the next job came in they just got into the truck and went and the remaining crews wept in the station

Comment

as i recall puff dady was in the charts with i,ll be missing you , i went to do first aid with the jonnies at her funeral , heart breaking

Comment

Bovvered??

Comment

Why d'you say that Daz ?
              Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

LOL

I was working in Greece at the time and I heard the news at about 9am local time. I phoned my mum who in her sleepy stupor said, oh well you're 2 hours ahead of us, it probably hasnt happened over here yet.

In the Indian restaurant we worked in, the Menu was changed and the day's Special was Coronation Chicken, Steak Diana and Death by Chocolate. Then the singers came in and we did a minutes silence before they sang "Oh Lord Won't You Buy Me A Mercedes Benz"

We couldn't buy a paper for weeks on the island as they were selling out within 5 minutes of the shops being open, and loads of Brits were flying over purely to get away from the misery of England.

The Greeks assumed that as we were from near London (??) that we must have known Diana personally and out of sympathy plied us with free beers for about 2 weeks after the event.

Oh happy days!!!

Comment

recovering from a night out came down stairs mother glued to telly and i said "oh has she sacked another charity like" OOPS!!

Comment

Originally posted by nottrikk
                    I must admit I didn't care much for the fluttery eyelashed drain on the economy.

When I found out that she had died, My mum came into my room with tears in her eyes and said that Di had died. I looked up, said "And?" and rolled over and went back to sleep.

Sorry if it sounds callous, but I really have no time whatsoever for the royals. They provide tourism for the country... so freaking what!
                    Totally agree with you mate. I also have no time whatsoever for the Royal "Family". Fair enough it's not a nice thing to happen but it does happen, to everyone from all walks of life. Just because she was in the public eye there was no need for the country to go into meltdown. She was only 1 person. And I know she did humanitarian things around the world but that was her job.

It's a total shame people don't have the same kind of sympathy and compassion for the living. People treat each other like sh*t most of the time but then weep and wail in public for a woman they never even met. Talk about hypocrisy!!!

And just in case you think I'm being callous I heard whilst preparing to do a sponsored abseil that day off one of the tallest buildings in Manchester to raise over £300 for one of her charities, The British Red Cross, which I did.
                    Last edited by SG1973; 25-11-2006, 10:29.

Comment

Well I went to belize, see some of my memories in Belize it or not on here, as a volunteer to build an old peoples home, best thing I've ever done, the people and the country were magnificent.

Comment

Re: The day that's in it...

At work in the morning then playing cards down the pub at lunch and going home to find the wife actually crying over it lmfao!
                        Love is an invention by bank managers to keep you overdrawn - Rick Mayall/ The Young Ones

Comment

Arrived early at work - when the lads were sat in the canteen and told me - everyone in shock - Not a big fan of the royals but I found it incredibly sad - she was so beautiful had two kids who were young - Some say the humanitarian bit was her job and she was very privileged. Well personally i would not have wanted that much intrusion into everything I did for any kind of privilege.
                          What a waste !

Comment

Originally posted by Aidan View Post
                            Why d'you say that Daz ?
                            Coz I hated her

Comment

I was possibly more drunk than I'd ever been, crashed out on my Dad's bathroom floor, having drunk copious amounts of Tequila in Whitley Bay...

I remember being shocked when I heard the news, and later on that emotion turned to anger when I found out the Newcastle match had been called off as a result of the accident. Never understood that, it's not like she was our centre forward or anything...
                              Last edited by Moomin Dave...; 10-06-2007, 12:48.
                              "My Dad's taller than your Dad."

Comment

I woke up on the Sunday morning - seven o'clock alarm as we (my late hubby George and myself) were going Metal Detecting and it was on the news - first thing that I heard that day !!
                                We went on to our Dig and all the members held a one minute silence at eleven o'clock for her.
                                Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
                                <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

Working...
                                X