The day that's in it Princess Diana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The day that's in it...

My middle child had got up and turned the telly on, heard the news then woke us up. At first we thought she'd made a mistake but then we saw for ourselves
    One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

I was staying at my mums- having left my first husband- and had got up and seen it on the news. I went upstairs to tell her..like a lot of people she didnt believe it at first and had to get up and see for herself.

Tass

Comment

i was watching mtv, I remember the roads were very quiet the next day, come to think of it the roads are quiet here most of the time
        "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

me & the missus were up early that day, off to sell at the nearby car boot.

Then for the funeral, all of the shops closed as a mark of respect......always remember the 'Hallelujah' song-bit in the service...very moving
          sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

I am very much a night person and was watching the tv movie version of Night of the hunter starring Richard Chamberlain when the first news flash came on, must've been about 3am. They weren't certain how bad it was at that point.
            "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I was in a all-night club, downstairs near the security guys and the paramedics. About 2.30, or whenever it was, the news came out over the medics radio, made it into the room we were in, then we were telling everyone else. Around 6.30, the news came back down to us again. All night we had been cracking jokes about the whole thing, as none of us were particularly royal fans. Then the club closed, we went to McDonalds for coffee, and there was sombre classical music playing in there and people were crying. That's when it hit home, that this was no ordinary death, this was a national mourning.

Two weeks later, the woman who would later become my wife came to London, and we went to Kensington Gardens and the flowers were still there, packed six feet high and and about 20 feet deep, and you could still read many of the cards on the closest ones. The whole thing just made me remember my Dad, who died when I was 10 and I ended up bawling my fricking eyes out, and so did she. So we composed ourselves, went to the Catherine Wheel pub which was round the corner back then (though it's gone now), and had a couple of drinks and a chat. I think that's when I realized I wanted to marry that woman. That was one crazy couple of weeks.
              Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

My thought was at the time,"oh well,people die every day,why is this any different",still my thought till this day.Amen.
                "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

Re: The day that's in it Princess Diana

My son was only 9 days old and I got up during night to feed him, put the tele on and it was saying Diana had a crash and was in hospital, I went back to sleep nd when i woke up again, the news as she had died. All radio stations all day played really sad music with hardly any presenters.
                  ...chilli...

Comment

I found out by looking on Teletext.

Someone I used to work with (& I didn't know at the time) had gone to one of the smaller Greek islands a couple of days earlier for a 3 week "get away from it all" holiday.

He hardly heard any news while away, & by the time he got back things had began to get back to normal.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I was in Suffolk as on the Saturday afternoon I went to see West Brom draw 1 - 1 at Ipswich.
                      In the evening I went to a big p*ss up with my wife, brother and his wife at the Army camp at Wattisham.
                      Woke up with a hangover and the news was broken by my brother after 10am as we'd all slept in.
                      Shocking News but at the end of the day I didn't know her so I wasn't upset. People die in accidents everyday.
                      I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

My friend Brian told me. As Brian is a bit of a joker and the tone he used was somewhat casual, I assumed he was mucking around. Then another friend confirmed it. As an Irishwoman, it didn't particularly affect me.
                        The best Government is that which governs least - Thoreau.

Comment

In bed on the Sunday morning, about 7am. Put the telly on and it was on the news.
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

i remember i was watching the london marathon and a few later it was all over the news that diana was dead.

terrible how the driver was supposedly drunk.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                              i remember i was watching the london marathon and a few later it was all over the news that diana was dead.

terrible how the driver was supposedly drunk.
                              I think your memory's playing tricks there Darren, Diana died in August and the London Marathon is always on in April.
                              The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Had been out on the Saturday night, girlfriend of the time went to bed and I stayed up to watch a bit tele that I'd taped, then the news came on and it was all over the pace. Woke the GF up to tell her and the next morning she thought it was a dream. Went to play 5-a-side with the plan being to stop out after and watch the Liverpool v Newcastle game but it was called off due to the death leaving many of us Newcastle fans miffed as we thought we had a damn good chance of winning.

Comment

Working...
                                X