Channel 4 Later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Channel 4 Later

Does anybody remember Channel 4's late-night slot called 4 Later? It first aired in the late 90's from Thursday to Sunday nights and it was made up with loads of cult TV shows. I was still in school at the time and there were a small group of us who would always watch it, it usually began around midnight and would go through until around 2-3 in the morning. Some of the shows were:

Vids - A movie/video review show hosted by a mad Welsh guy called Nigel Buckland and his laid-back Scottish mate Stef Gardiner. Vids had a nice mix of reviews, well-known films and obscure cult titles. Nige and Stef were a classic double act and the reviews themselves were always hilarious, most episodes would also follow a storyline of some sort such as their video store being blown up at the end of one series. Vids was a cult classic and a show I really miss.

Bits - Videogame show presented by three gorgeous girls, Emily Newton Dunn, Aleks Krotoski and Emily Booth. A Sunday morning version of the show for the younger demographic was also created but was canned after awhile.

Exploitica - This was basically just scenes from really old, strange and obscure movies with funny remarks and comments appearing on the screen. I wasn't really a big fan of this show and didn't find it to be that funny but it did have its fans.

There were loads more shows that were part of 4 Later but I would be interested to know if anybody has any memories of it. There are hardly any traces of it anywhere on the Internet which is a bit sad but those that did watch it remember it fondly. In today's world of Big Brother and late-night quiz shows its hard to believe that Channel 4 once had the kind of cult shows 4 Later offered, a real shame.

Re: Channel 4 Later

in the very early days of c4 i remember watching a spanish (i think) film about a guy stuck in a telephone box, i think it was called "the telephone box" funnily enough,strange endig,not much dialogue
    "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

I saw that one as well, poor man got taken into like a big vault at the end with dead bodies and skeletons in loads of other booths

La cabina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by frame View Post
        in the very early days of c4 i remember watching a spanish (i think) film about a guy stuck in a telephone box, i think it was called "the telephone box" funnily enough,strange endig,not much dialogue
        ooh ooh yes I remember that ...it was soooo bizarre
        sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

also recall a short film about old man lying in his coffin having requested his barber to give him his last shave, guy being very nervous slices the tip of dead mans nose off, cant remember how it ends
          "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

I recall watching a really odd film on channel 4 a few years back, it was on during the early hours of the morning and only ran for around 10-15 minutes. A guy wakes up in his apartment and begins feeling paranoid, as though something is watching him. From what I remember there was no dialogue but the film followed this guy as he began to search round his apartment, as though looking for an intruder. In the end he goes down into his basement, not having found anyone anywhere else in the house and from what I remember he takes a frying pan or something from the kitchen with him to use as a weapon.

The guy then thankfully finds no sign of an intruder in the basement and makes his way back up to the kitchen and places the weapon down on the side. Then from behind the bloke we catch a very quick glimpse of some odd gollum-like figure standing behind him, the guy turns round but the weird figure picks up the weapon that was left on the side and kills the bloke with it, the film then ends. The way the camera was used was so spooky, we never actually catch enough of the weird figure to identify it but from what was shown it was definitely something sinister. What the name of this short film was I have no idea and will probably never find out but it wasn't half eerie!

Comment

Working...
            X