Christmas Snowman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Snowman

This is a really random memory, but does anybody remember about 25 years ago at christmas you used to be able to buy snowmen etc that were about 2ft tall and were filled with sweets and little toys. Just wondered why they don't make them anymore, you also used to be able to buy giant crackers full of toys.

Re: Christmas Snowman

We had one of the Giant Crackers one year, I remember it sitting above the curtains on one of those wooden Pelmet things. We couldn't wait to get it down and pull it, but NO Mum had to use it as part of the decorations for weeks!
    When time finally arrived to pull it I remember feeling really excited, half of us one side, half the other, we got a good grip and pulled. It just fell apart, no bang, no big flash/spark that I'd dreamed of, What a let down! Bah Humbag
    Heather

Comment

Trouble with snowmen is they think everything smells of carrots

Comment

Lol

Comment

I remember the giant crackers and the snowman shaped balloon inside the snowy balloon as an alternative to the black indian ones with feathers.

The snowman with sweets in, strangely I don't remember the shop bought ones but I made my own by covering a jar with cotton wall and making a newspaper head also cotton wooled and decorated for the head on the screw top lid as a table decoration.
          One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

aww such a let down eh.

Maybe it was a wonky one or it being used as a decoration didnt do it any favours.
            Giant cracker how big was it do you think.

I can only think of small christmas crackers.

When i read the first post i thought a snowman made up of snow filled with sweets indoors who was it kept from melting. Then i worked it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally posted by heather74 View Post
            we had one of the giant crackers one year, i remember it sitting above the curtains on one of those wooden pelmet things. We couldn't wait to get it down and pull it, but no mum had to use it as part of the decorations for weeks!
            When time finally arrived to pull it i remember feeling really excited, half of us one side, half the other, we got a good grip and pulled. It just fell apart, no bang, no big flash/spark that i'd dreamed of, what a let down! Bah humbag
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by bloomingfox View Post
              This is a really random memory, but does anybody remember about 25 years ago at christmas you used to be able to buy snowmen etc that were about 2ft tall and were filled with sweets and little toys. Just wondered why they don't make them anymore, you also used to be able to buy giant crackers full of toys.
              My family had the snowman, it was cardboard covered in cotton wool type stuff. He had a hat on but the toys came out the bottom which was open. They used to put small presents in it which we opened on Boxing Day after dinner, to keep the Xmas presents going longer. Normal presents xmas morning, tree presents after dinner on xmas and snowman after boxing day dinner. My parents probably still have it.

Comment

That is how I remember the snowman, with a cardboard bottom that could be pushed open.I can remember us having one when I was a toddler. I

Comment

Sorry about short message. Won't allow me to update it.

I was going to say that we kept the snowman for many years after as part of our Christmas decorations. It eventually got too tatty to use. We also had a giant cracker but that came along a lot later when my sister was little in the 80's.Red with gold trimmings. It opened at one end to tip out the goodies. We threaded string through the middle so it could be hung up as a decoration. It's something else that survived for years until it too became too tatty to be used and got thrown out.

Comment

Working...
                  X