school uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: school uniforms

Ours was Sine Honore Nihil--Without honour I am nothing--or that is what we were told it meant.

Comment

Both my Schools had Logos/Emblems and both was equally as crzy I think. The first School hasd a very very posh Horse on the Blazer pocket (sadly the School amounted to a lot less) and my 2nd oe had some strange thing that amounted to the Town (on the seaside I lived in and some old Motto) linked with the Town that had never been used for ages! Why that Schools can not think of their own is crazy I think (in why such things are linked)! Though I am glad our Ties thankfully never had Emblems etc on them as, as much as I like dressing nice Ties as so like the patterned ones remind of cheap imitation Oxbridge ties you can buy!

Comment

I don't know why but something struck a chord the other day and I recalled at my first Secondary we had a choice of Sky Blue, White or Grey Shirt/s

Was this unique to my School I wondered then and occasionaly have before too!?

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
          I don't know why but something struck a chord the other day and I recalled at my first Secondary we had a choice of Sky Blue, White or Grey Shirt/s

Was this unique to my School I wondered then and occasionaly have before too!?

80sChav
          Ours was Sky Blue only, but could be any kind of shirt, so some people wore normal shirts, some grandad shirts, some button downs, some tie downs etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
            Ours was Sky Blue only, but could be any kind of shirt, so some people wore normal shirts, some grandad shirts, some button downs, some tie downs etc.
            I am so glad we was'nt allowed Grandad Shirts Mulletino How horrible they appeared before their 90s resurgence they used to be in the 80s, I found

I recall they made a real comeback around 1997/98 though as everyday Shirts and was cool in that respect!! A few lads in my Year - even in First Year/Year 7 woreDenim Grey ones and somehow got away with them .... though I am talking some of the hardest/toughest guy's in each Form and Year!!

80sChav

Comment

From the 70s wore black blazer and trousers. Black shoes. Still have the striped tie. Then for some reason that I cannot recall I began wearing gola trainers and even began wearing football boots with studs.
              Some students wore Farah trousers.

Comment

At secondary school, for me 1973-1978, there was a space on our annual report where the form teacher would grade your appearance i.e. your adherence to the uniform code and general cleanliness/tidyness. For some reason I got an 'A' for the 5 years I was there, though I suspect that it would take someone turning up in clothes a scarecrow would be ashamed of to get any other grade.

Comment

My last secondary school I attended we had no uniforms; we were allowed to wear anything we wanted to
                  sigpic
                  Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

It seems every secondary school had at least one teacher who used to ruthlessly implement the uniform policy.

There was one at mine, but I never managed to fall foul of him, though it helped I tried to stick to the rules & was was based in another school building.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

• Re: school uniforms

There are a couple of posts where it states there was a uniform in primary school. Except certain schools, Catholic, Private Etc., I don't think uniforms came about until the mid 1980s. Most of these uniforms corresponded with uniforms in the secondary school. This being that if a pupil needed to replace an item of uniform, the money would not be wasted come September. In recent years there has been uproar over schools bringing in a policy of a school logo being worn on certain items of clothing. These sometimes can only be bought from one outlet that is registered to supply this logo. Often a certain member, or members of staff or school governors, have a vested interest. I'm glad this policy did not exist when I was in comprehensive school. The chances are, I would have spent day after day in "confinement". The only time I ever wore anything with the school logo, or badge, was on the tie.
                      Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

I don't think I wore a uniform at infants and junior schools, but by the time my son started school in 1998 uniforms were compulsory.

Regarding school logos, at secondary school ours was emblazoned on a cloth patch that your mum had to sew onto the breast pocket of your blazer. When you needed a new blazer, all that was necessary was to undo the stitching and sew the patch onto the new blazer, and that was the only place on uniforms a logo was displayed.

Comment

Trouble with school uniforms parents had to buy them from the authorised shop that had the school contract. No buying of uniforms allowed from outlets such as C&A or the equivalent back then to George at Asda & TU Sainsbury. It is obvious schools received a cut of the profits before they started selling off playing fields
                          sigpic
                          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                            I don't think I wore a uniform at infants and junior schools, but by the time my son started school in 1998 uniforms were compulsory.

Regarding school logos, at secondary school ours was emblazoned on a cloth patch that your mum had to sew onto the breast pocket of your blazer. When you needed a new blazer, all that was necessary was to undo the stitching and sew the patch onto the new blazer, and that was the only place on uniforms a logo was displayed.
                            This was done on a blazer at my school. It was not compulsory, neither was the blazer.
                            Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

I think cloth patch and blazer were both compulsory at my school, but in warm weather they were discarded and we went around in just shirt and tie, with the girls in blouse and tie. Oddly, boys wore white or grey shirts, but the girls wore candy-striped blouses--the tie being the same

Originally posted by marc View Post
                              This was done on a blazer at my school. It was not compulsory, neither was the blazer.

Comment

Originally posted by marc View Post
                                This was same for me x by 3 of us now - though at one stagre I think they tried the idea of iron on Crests to the Blazer Pocket!!

Funny toio how you got a Detention though for that if was Creased through the ironing (or as some Parents would take it to a Stiutching Place/Shop Nr by if busy for a small cost) and it was'nt so for other items of Uniform - but the most tiny crease ... say no more!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                                X