Standing/dome cinemas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standing/dome cinemas

Does anyone remember a type of cinema where the audience stood up and the cinema itself was a dome and the film (usually a short of a rollercoaster ride) was projected to fill most of your vision. The audience would sway with the motion of the film.

I remember being taken to a few of these in the late 70's when we were on holiday in Canada.

I've heard the term 'Cinema 360˚' used but I can't find any info.

Re: Standing/dome cinemas

There used to be one on Brighton Pier

Comment

There was one in Great Yarmouth too and I got travel sick in it.
      One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

Panoramic cinema or something

Comment

Wasn't there one at Alton Towers many years ago?
          sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

There was one at Blackpool Pleasure Beach too in about 1987 I think.

Comment

I'm sure the one at Alton Towers was called Cinema 2000.

Comment

I'm sure there was one at Flamingo Land in the 80's and it was called 'Cinema 2000' too. They were great! Everyone stood there swaying and nearly falling over when the rollercoaster bit was on!
                edit: just found this!. http://gallery.towersalmanac.com/dis...lbum=461&pos=0
                Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

I remember Cine 2000 at Alton Towers.

My Dad remembers us visiting not long after it opened, & someone suddely walked out & threw up.

My Dad & uncle both suddenly decided it must be worth seeing!

The last time I saw one was at the amusement park at the Needles on the Isle Of Wight in 1995.

The film was really grainy & scratchy, but still effective to make my stomach sink a few times.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

there used to be a cinema 180 at thorpe park in the 1980`s same thing wrap round screen showing a roller coaster ride

Comment

Yes, the first one I went to was called Cinema 180 (degrees).

Comment

Originally posted by n3llyo View Post
                        there used to be a cinema 180 at thorpe park in the 1980`s same thing wrap round screen showing a roller coaster ride
                        I remember the one at Thorpe Park.Went in with my dad and it made him feel ill,so he wouldn't go back in.I loved it!

Comment

Originally posted by Tog View Post
                          There was one at Blackpool Pleasure Beach too in about 1987 I think.
                          it was there in 85 too cause I was there yup roller coaster ride
                          DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Thank you to everyone on the thread, I remember these things and no one I know seems to know what i'm talking about when I describe them.

I remember one film as well as a rollercoaster that was a fire engine racing through the streets then at the end a woman pushing a pram stepped out in front of them making the fire engine suddenly stop. As this happened everyone in the dome staggered or fell forwards haha.

I forget where it was but i'm thinking the one I visted a few times was in Minehead or maybe Skegness as we went to these town a lot when I was little.

Does anyone know where you can see the films they showed in these places? I'd love to see the fire engine one again

Comment

I remember one with a lorry drivng fast down a winding road, & a sci-fi one with this scary alien popping into view at the end.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                              X