Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Follow the Bear

Default Re: Follow the Bear

All I can say that it's a good job that we don't celebrate Christmas or New Year every week - I would have been an alcoholic if that ever happened.
    I am a man (just in case anyone asks).

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    All I can say that it's a good job that we don't celebrate Christmas or New Year every week - I would have been an alcoholic if that ever happened.
    Don't let that shtop you (burp!)...
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by battyrat View Post
    Many of us sipped on our fathers pints when they were not looking at a much younger age. It was the done thing for boys and even though our fathers pretended it was the not the done thing many men would deep down delight in their sons first sip of beer and probably turned the other way.

But then back then even shandy was real beer shandy not some flavoured gloop. So if we were lucky to go out with our parents we often got a half pint anyway.

I don't think the bear encouraged anybody to drink its built into our collective culture here in the UK.

And what about all the old Guinness advertising that used animal mascots for years to try to sell its product?
    I well remember drinking a real shandy, half beer, half lemonade. The lemonade was not the cheap stuff either, it tasted really nice.

Guinness advertising!!!! This could be quite blatant at the time. "Guiness is good for you." The Advertising Standards would have a heart attack over that now.

There was the other one.....Double Diamond. "Double Diamond works wonders, so have one today." I'd love to see both Guinness and Double Diamond go head to head with the Bear.
    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Quote Originally Posted by zabadak View Post
    Don't let that shtop you (burp!)...
    I might toast Harry and Meghan on Saturday...

Evenings and mornikgs i drink warniks, warniks advocaat, thats why im alwys ******!

Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    I well remember drinking a real shandy, half beer, half lemonade. The lemonade was not the cheap stuff either, it tasted really nice.

Guinness advertising!!!! This could be quite blatant at the time. "Guiness is good for you." The Advertising Standards would have a heart attack over that now.

There was the other one.....Double Diamond. "Double Diamond works wonders, so have one today." I'd love to see both Guinness and Double Diamond go head to head with the Bear.

It's like how our Victorian predecessors used to say that a sip of alcohol was good for you - and dare I say it, they even said that about smoking! It was over half a century before the NHS was founded of course.