Monster In My Pocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster In My Pocket

These had to be one of the most collectable toys ever! I was addicted to them because as kid I was always fascinated with monsters and mythology. The one I could never find was the Jotun Troll - it annoyed me so much right into adulthood that I didn't have one so I finally bought one off eBay a couple of years ago so I could complete my collection!

They were forerunners of things like Top Trumps too because they each monster was worth a certain number of points depending on its strength, skill etc.

Re: Monster In My Pocket

LOL never had them, but I remember trying to chat up the girls with the phrase
    Do you want to see the monster in my pocket ??
    never did pull any birds that way :cry:
    DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Great Topic, I totally agree that Monster In My Pocket were one of the greatest collectibles ever made. Personally my favourite series were the monster wrestlers, I still have all of them plus the assorted accessories and the ones given away in packs of Kellogg's stored away in my house somewhere! The original series as seen in the first post were fantastic though, I never had a great deal of them but I did have all the cards, remember playing with them on so many school coach trips! I can remember almost everybody who collected them having the same ones though, the witch, invisible man, the beast and the mummy all come to mind. I wasn't such a big fan of some of the later releases in the In My Pocket range, the dinosaurs and spiders just didn't have the same appeal as the original monsters or the monster wrestlers for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Palazzo View Post
        I can remember almost everybody who collected them having the same ones though, the witch, invisible man, the beast and the mummy all come to mind. I wasn't such a big fan of some of the later releases in the In My Pocket range, the dinosaurs and spiders just didn't have the same appeal as the original monsters or the monster wrestlers for me.
        Yeah all the packets had at least one, but usually two or three of the following - skeleton, witch, mummy, charon, invisible man, phantom of the opera, ghost, hunchback of notre dame - so if you were a serious collector you did end up with loads of the same ones. I had the board game where you had to launch balls at your opponents monsters to try and knock them down - the skeletons were really **** because they were so skinny and flimsy so you didn't want loads of those!!

Comment

I was just thinking that they really should bring these back again but then I remembered that Monster In My Pocket was relaunched at some point a few years back. Unfortunately though like most things which are brought back, the run didn't last very long. I seem to remember the figures in the new run not being half as good as the old ones were. I could be wrong on this one but I'm sure there was some sort of mountain playset released in the early 90's for Monsters In My Pocket and it had a space for each Monster to stand in, the thing could hold the complete first set from what I remember.

Comment

Looked up wikipedia and saw they were rereleased in 2006. Found the website for them - www.mimp.co.uk. Many of the same characters but they look totally different!!

Comment

That's the very one! I was just looking at all the monsters in that picture there and it brought back so many memories, I had forgotten about half of them in that picture, even some of the ones I had! Visited the website for the newer versions from your link, I can't believe how different the new versions look and its interesting that a handfull of them aren't avaiable in the UK for some reason. I like the new-look invisible man though!

Comment

I didn't buy any, but I do remember the add campaign.
                Imagine Brooklyn-style American accent: "Mwanster in my pocket!" rpt. rpt.

Comment

I remember some news stories in the UK because one of the original monsters...
                  Monster In My Pocket - Series 2
                  ...Ganesh/Ganesha, at 62, was a Hindu deity and it gave offence to at least some Hindus to have it included with the Loch Ness Monster and the Jabberwock.
                  "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

Working...
                  X