Choose Your Own Adventure books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Choose Your Own Adventure books

I had two or three Choose Your Own Adventure books. The only one I remember was called 'The Race Forever' and you competed in a couple of car rallies in Africa, firstly in a Lancia Stratos or Saab Turbo, then in an off-road rally in a Land Rover or Toyota.

The only Fighting Fantasy book I had was Ian Livingstone's 'Freeway Fighter' (you can probably see a theme developing here!) in which you had a customised supercar (based on a Lamborghini Countach, if memory serves), and you drove it across a post-apocolyptic landscape. The cover image was of a heavily armoured '57 Chevy which was one of the other vehicles you might encounter and have to fight.
    "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I remember sending off for a couple of these with tokens from Weetabix. One was quite boring and I never got into it. The other was about being lost in the wilderness and having to find your way out with bears and eating things that might kill you. I liked that one.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember borrowing The Race Forever from my local library, & sending off for one of the books in the Weetabix offer.

They were aimed at slightly younger readers & were published under the Skylark imprint.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by 70sscifiboy View Post
          I spent a good week one summer getting through The Warlock of Firetop Mountain! There was graph paper with plotted out maps all over the place!
          It's funny you should mention that because that's the one I still have, which I got free as a promotion from a book shop 4-5 years ago. (Re-print with new funky cover.)

I still havn't read it, but having read this thread I think I will - if I can muster enough enthusiasm to reach for a pencil/paper/dice etc! lol

Comment

I've got Asterix & Biggles adventures that come with a dice & some other bits & pieces to use.

I managed to complete both but they needed a few goes to get right. It was easy to loose where I was up to in the book.

Comment

I loved these back in the day, grew out of them pretty quick though. Still got a small collection,

These are the cereal offers,
              Click image for larger version

Name:	c1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	259769

These were some of my favourites,

Name:	c3.jpg
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	259770Click image for larger version

Name:	c2.jpg
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	259771

And some of the D&D versions,

Name:	dda.jpg
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	259772
              "Spare me your space-age techno babble Attila The Hun"

Comment

I've got Ultraheroes, along with Space Olympics from the same range, which was originally my brother's.

We got them on holiday in 1986.

Comment

Great thread - bringing back some real happy memories. As well as a few early CYOA books, I had some Indiana Jones 'Find Your Fate' books, published to tie-in with the cinema release of Temple of Doom. I think there were a dozen or so in total, but I only had the first four. Three were good, and would have made pretty decent Indy movies:

Name:	IndianaJonesAndTheCurseOfHorrorIsland.jpg
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	259896Click image for larger version

Name:	IndianaJonesAndTheGiantsOfTheSilverTower.jpg
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	259897Click image for larger version

Name:	Indiana Jones and the Eye of the Fates.jpg
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	259895

This one, however, sucked. For some reason the author wrote it in the past tense, therefore robbing it of any sense of suspense and immediacy. Not only that, but if I remember rightly all choices eventually led to the same ending. Lame!

Name:	IndianaJonesAndTheLostTreasureOfSheba.jpg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	259898
                  Last edited by NostalgiaGuy; 02-03-2011, 02:04.

Comment

Originally posted by yelever View Post
                    They had some others written by a different author but you had to roll a dice to see what page you turned to. I`ve tracked them down on amazon and ordered 5 already lol. (the ones without the dice)
                    Ones with the dice:-Fighting Fantasy
                    Ones without dice:- Lone Wolf or Starfall.
                    WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                      I saw these knocking about and resisted for a while. Then, they were harder to avoid. I seem to remember seeing short mini-versions given away with cereal.

Eventually, I caved in and bought Deathtrap Dungeon of the Fighting Fantasy series. And wow....it was amazing! I absolutely loved it. I soon had Island of the Lizard King, and borrowed a few others. Then I got into the Lone Wolf series.

I was thirteen, I'd say. And I suppose those books led me into a decade of role-playing games and Citadel figures.

...Jamo
                      Ever playedElder Scrolls?
                      WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Maxi View Post
                        I had two or three Choose Your Own Adventure books. The only one I remember was called 'The Race Forever' and you competed in a couple of car rallies in Africa, firstly in a Lancia Stratos or Saab Turbo, then in an off-road rally in a Land Rover or Toyota.

The only Fighting Fantasy book I had was Ian Livingstone's 'Freeway Fighter' (you can probably see a theme developing here!) in which you had a customised supercar (based on a Lamborghini Countach, if memory serves), and you drove it across a post-apocolyptic landscape. The cover image was of a heavily armoured '57 Chevy which was one of the other vehicles you might encounter and have to fight.
                        Can't beat a bit of Mad Max. But I'm sure the Freeway Fighter one MIGHT have been influences by the Games Workshop game Battlecars which was similiar.
                        WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Anybody remember the ones based on the legend of King Arthur called Grailquest?
                          Part 14/13 was the bit where you went to after you died but Merlin ressurected you.
                          Then there were the Way of The Tiger, two of which were made into Sinclair 48 Spectrum games and released by Gremlin Software, in which you took the part of a ninja and the background story involved something to do with vengence.
                          WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

I seem to remember there were about three based on Doctor Who (the Colin Baker version) in about 1985. I used to have them, but I think I gave them away. Wish I'd kept them, now.

Comment

Working...
                            X