heavy metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: heavy metal

Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin; Deep Purple; Fanny (anyone remember them from early 70s - all girl rock band - great stuff).

Comment

Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
      Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin; Deep Purple; Fanny (anyone remember them from early 70s - all girl rock band - great stuff).
      Fanny? LOL! No don't remember them. But do remember seeing girlschool supporting motorhead.

Whitesnake and David Coverdale Phwoar!! Sorry that's a bit girly isn't it

Comment

Fanny were better than The Bangles, believe me. I had an album of their's it was superb.

Upon signing hard rock combo Fanny in 1970, Warner Bros. claimed their new acquisition was the first all-female rock & roll band -- a statement far from the truth, of course, but as one of the first self-contained distaff groups to land on a major label, they were an important harbinger of things to come.

Fanny formed in California under the name Wild Honey, teaming singer/guitarist June Millington, her bassist sister Jean, keyboardist Nickey Barclay, and drummer Alice de Buhr. With Wild Honey signing to Reprise, the new name Fanny was suggested to producer Richard Perry by no less than ex-Beatle George Harrison; though a relatively innocuous term in the band's native United States, its more scandalous meaning overseas was only known to the group much later on. Fanny's self-titled debut LP appeared in 1970, earning radio airplay for its cover of the Cream favorite "Badge."

The title track from their 1971 follow-up Charity Ball was the group's first Billboard chart hit, although they enjoyed greater commercial success in the U.K., touring in support of Jethro Tull and Humble Pie. (They were also banned from performing at the London Palladium on the grounds they were "too sexy.") After contributing as session players on Barbra Streisand's self-titled 1971 album, Fanny issued Fanny Hill a year later, but following 1973's Todd Rundgren-produced Mother's Pride, June Millington and de Buhr left the group, and were replaced by guitarist Patti Quatro (formerly of the Pleasure Seekers and sister of another pioneering female rocker, Suzi Quatro) and drummer Brie Howard, soon replaced by Cam Davis.

The reconstituted lineup landed with Casablanca for a disappointing final album, 1974's Rock'n'Roll Survivors, before dissolving. The Millington sisters later recorded as solo artists before reuniting as the Slammin' Babes, while Barclay later toured as part of Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishmen troupe and in 1976 issued a solo LP, Diamond in a Junkyard. de Buhr, meanwhile, also remained in the music industry, at one time working as a retail marketing coordinator for A&M -- where she was assigned to promote the Go-Go's, one of the bands for whom Fanny clearly paved the way
        Fanny MP3 Downloads - Fanny Music Downloads - Fanny Music Videos - Fanny Pictures - MP3.com

Sadly the link does not include a download. If anybody can find a copy of Fanny Hill, I would appreciate it. http://www.epinions.com/content_4705853572
        Last edited by Elbmek; 15-08-2008, 16:59.

Comment

Fanny were better than The Bangles, believe me. I had an album of their's it was superb.
          Well I take back the laughing at their name. I just did a quick you tube and they weren't what I was expecting at all! Yes I agree, better than the bangles.

Comment

I had a look in amazon etc for their albums, nowt - but if anyone finds a link selling any of their albums, especially Fanny Hill, please - SHOUT!!!

Comment

I'm not most into heavy metal but, okay ah.. Deep Purple, Foreigner, Whitesnake.
              Brings back the memories...

Comment

I love most of those and also Warlock, Boston, Deep Purple, Van Halen................

but best of all my eldest has just asked for Led Zepp and AC/DC for xmas and my youngest at 14 has just explained who Led Zep are to kids at her new school. She is also into lots of new bands who play thrash and screamo
                One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

I wouldn't class whitesnake and Foreigner as "heavy metal" more as "hard rock", unless of course, their albums were vastly different to their singles.

"Thrash" and "Screamo" - are they hitchcok films by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
                    I wouldn't class whitesnake and Foreigner as "heavy metal" more as "hard rock", unless of course, their albums were vastly different to their singles.

"Thrash" and "Screamo" - are they hitchcock films by any chance?

They could have been.

http://www.classicthrash.com/

When Metallica's Kill 'em All and Slayer's Show No Mercy were released in 1983, a new groundbreaking sub genre in heavy metal was born. Drawing its inspiration from the new wave of British heavy metal and hardcore punk, thrash metal became the most uncompromising form of metal music up to that point. In the mid to late eighties the thrash metal scene took a steep rise into public recognition, reached its peak in popularity by the end of the eighties, and then gradually faded out of view.

http://www.luv-emo.com/screamo.html

Screamo is a small tight knit grassroots musical community. It is linked directly to emo (yet another thing most of you kids know next to nothing about). Screamo emerged in the early mid 90's both in the states and in parts of europe, some early screamo bands were Anomie, Saetia, Portraits Of Past, and Orchid. Screamo proved to be a faster more abrasive counter part to it's parent genre emotive hardcore (emo). Some key active screamo bands today are: Loma Prieta, Danse Macabre, Ampere, Comadre, and La Quiete.

So that is the technical view the bands she has in mind are ones like
                    Fei Commodo and Sanctorum both good live.
                    http://www.sanctorum.co.uk/
                    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FHT_UFIxBqI Fei commodo

Personally I always hate labelling bands as anything you either like it or you don't and by the time you add influences on them very few are completely pure anything except maybe noise
                    Last edited by sixtyten; 16-12-2008, 14:22. Reason: Please type in Black. the colours are there for HIGHLIGHTING only. Giving me a fricking headache!

Comment

Originally posted by daubers View Post
                      how many other rockers are out there, do you remember a group called dokken (very big in germany now) but bigger in england in the 80s,and i think it was the middle to late 70s there was a group called the pink fairys any one know who they went on to become

I remember seeing fans wearing Dokken t-shirts/badges etc but i have never heard any of their stuff.

I got into HM when i was 8 or 9 y/o and my first album was Saxon - Wheels of steel. Tis a great album and was a great era for HM music.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MAMF View Post
                        I remember seeing fans wearing Dokken t-shirts/badges etc but i have never heard any of their stuff.

I got into HM when i was 8 or 9 y/o and my first album was Saxon - Wheels of steel. Tis a great album and was a great era for HM music.
                        Agreed, although my first HM album was Sabbath's greatest hits.
                        Last edited by Heather74; 30-12-2008, 22:11.

Comment

Originally posted by suzannewozere2 View Post
                          Agreed, although my first HM album was Sabbath's greatest hits.
                          I bought some Sabbath stuff but i could not really get into them.

I prefered the likes of Saxon, AC/DC and some Whitesnake.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MAMF View Post
                            I bought some Sabbath stuff but i could not really get into them.

I prefered the likes of Saxon, AC/DC and some Whitesnake.
                            All of them

Comment

Heavy metal in the 1980's was incredibly unappreciated in a time where groups like Bros and JHJ were selling out concerts. I wish you'd get bands like Dokken and Iron Maiden nowadays. The 80's had practically the best music of all freaking time, though a lot of it sounded cheesy, thickly produced and mechanical at times.

Comment

Did some one say Dokken!? Remember "dream warriors" that song rocks, it was the sound track for Nightmare on Elm Street 3 too! Great sutff, i miss proper metal.

Comment

Working...
                                X