raleigh burners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: raleigh burners

We had a red and yellow one and it's still in our loft. My son had all the gear - helmet knee pads? (always falling off).

Comment

never had one as a kid. now i've got a 2008 mag burner replica, a raleigh styler and a mag 20.

Comment

NOWT, but NOWT BEATS A RALEIGH CHOPPER!!!! Even today I saw an original in a lovely metallic purple being ridden by a guy coming back from work...brought a smile to my face seeing it. Mines a MK 3 made more recently. I'd love to own an original....where they always as heavy as they are now?!

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
          NOWT, but NOWT BEATS A RALEIGH CHOPPER!!!! Even today I saw an original in a lovely metallic purple being ridden by a guy coming back from work...brought a smile to my face seeing it. Mines a MK 3 made more recently. I'd love to own an original....where they always as heavy as they are now?!
          funny enough a local shop that sells tools,oil and loads of things for cars has a raleigh chopper in the window.
          that bike must be there at least 15 yrs.
          its like brand new.
          im often tempted to go in and ask can i have it.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Raleigh Burners sell for silly money on eBay nowadays with most of them bought by kids of the 1980s who want to relive their youth rather than for kids of today, but when they start feeling too old to ride them, then will youngsters want them or will demand for them collapse and prices plummet?

There was a time when I owned a Raleigh Rebel (which was a Burner in all but name) with a metallic silver frame and blue forks and bars. I changed the steel wheels to modern alloy wheels fitted with a 14T freewheel to reduce the weight and increase the speed but later sold it because I could not get used to its weird frame geometry and short top tube compared with that from a new school BMX I was used to riding.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I had a Styler Mag that was almost the same, in turquoise with pink & white stripes.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I NEVER REALISED THERE WHERE SO MANY DIFFERENT RALEIGH BURNER BIKES.

Comment

They seemed to make other versions for the mail order catalogues too. That Rustler looks like it has Acorn Mags on. I had blue Acorn Freestyler Mags on my Burner, which were modelled on the Skyway Tuffs but had closed in bearings.

My Burner was a Burner GS, which had a metallic silver paint job on the frame, matt black forks and bars. It was allegedly exclusive to the catalogues but we got it from a bike shop.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Lovely bike indeed wonder how it was exclusive to the catalogues but u got it in a shop.
                        Maybe a certain agreement was made.

Originally posted by mulletino View Post
                        they seemed to make other versions for the mail order catalogues too. That rustler looks like it has acorn mags on. I had blue acorn freestyler mags on my burner, which were modelled on the skyway tuffs but had closed in bearings.

My burner was a burner gs, which had a metallic silver paint job on the frame, matt black forks and bars. It was allegedly exclusive to the catalogues but we got it from a bike shop.

Comment

Any idea when the very last old school Raleigh BMX rolled off the production line in Nottingham?

I'm vaguely aware that after the Styler there were some last of the line models made up from whatever parts were left over at the factory where the decals just said BMX on them. I think many of them were sold through dealers for around £50 to the few remaining BMX enthusiasts of the early 1990s and families who couldn't afford to buy their kids mountain bikes.

Comment

Comment

I had Super Burner at the start of my BMX days.

I ended up stripping all the gold lacquer off to leave a chrome frame, and after a brief time with ACS Z-Rims (I buckled them, they were supposed to be unbuckable), got black Skyways with a coaster brake which I loved.
                              I sold the Skyways a few years ago and got nearly double what the bike originally cost for them!

Comment

Working...
                              X