Ford Consul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Consul

My father had one of these cars. It was yellow on the body and black on the roof. But that was in the beginning of the 70s.I believe it first hit the car scene in 1951. It used a lot of new technology of the time, and was a new option for families wanting a saloon car. The Consul was later updated and made longer to match the taste of the 60s. In 1962, the Ford Cortina emerged as the peoples' new choice. Even later still, the Consul name was used for the Ford Grenada, until the Consul part was dropped.

More...
    Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
    http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Re: Ford Consul

I'm trying to get my head around the order and names of these cars. My memory is that Dad had a Cortina first, then what we called a New Cortina (with the up-sweep on the rear passenger door windows) and then a Consul.....and then a Granada. The Granada was in a colour called Oyster Gold and as a family, we thought we'd really arrived!

Comment

Hi,heres a pic of my zodiac which I owned in 1990,it was about a foot longer than the consul because of the extra two cylinders of the engine.....

....and here is the car I own now.....

...old cars are great fun,but they dont go round corners too well
      "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

Originally posted by frame View Post
        ...old cars are great fun, but they dont go round corners too well
        But Ford were especially good at those.
        My first car (not my pick, the company's) was a brand new Sierra (mkII) in '89.
        The last of Ford's rear-wheel drive monsters; it still wasn't good at going round corners (or braking).
        As I, an innocent, was shocked to discover when I was lent a Golf for a week, the Sierra been off the road for a recall.

"This one goes round corners. This one has brakes..."
        Never quite felt safe in my Sierra again.
        "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

My dad had a gold one in the 70's,it had a sunroof,which I used to stick my head out of!!!!!!Those were the days.........no risk of decapitation then,of course!!

tulip

Comment

Working...
          X