Embarrassing Gigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Embarrassing Gigs

I subscribe to the school of thought that my taste has changed over the years, but I'm not ashamed of any of it.

My first gig was in the mid 70s; the Wombles at our local YMCA. I grew up assuming that it was a bunch of cleaners in the suits but met Mike Batt a few years ago and discovered that he actually did the tour of all these provincial hell holes.

Fast-forward a decade or so and my first holiday away with mates. I was staying in a holiday park near Carlisle in early summer, 1984 and the entertainment was provided by "former British Eurovision entrant" Black Lace. We knew them from the "Superman" song and went along ready to heckle, but they turned out to be thoroughly nice blokes and (as we were) big rock fans. We were thus among the first people in the country to learn how to do the "Agadoo" dance.

I've been embarrassed for a few bands I've seen over the years, though.

Two groups supporting Dio spring instantly to mind; Queensryche wearing pink suits at the Glasgow Apollo would be a contender, but top of the list would have to be a guy called Ron Keel. He was supporting Dio in Edinburgh and, during the song "Rock & Roll Animal", decided to introduce the band.

"This is Steve on Guitar and he's a rock & roll animal"

"This is Pete on drums and he's a rock & roll animal"

"This is Frank on bass and he's a rock & roll animal"

"My name's Ron Keel. Do you know what I am?"

Three and a half thousand people told him.
    There is no beauty here, just the stench of wine and beer.

Comment

Erasure back in about 89? I'm not sure if they are remembered fondly or seen as cheesy nowadays- I wouldnt put them on a 'best of the 80s' compilation though.

Looking above, I recently worked with a bloke whos Dad is a well regarded session bass player and toured with the wombles as well as playing on couple of the albums. Had some amazing 'sexond' hand tour stories to tell!
      Last edited by Retrogames; 28-12-2012, 23:57. Reason: Adding wombling info
      I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

I have been on the floor laughing at the posts in, what has now become, my favourite forum thread on DYR - The Wurzels, Chris De Burgh with topless girls, too many Bucks Fizz fans to mention and my all time favourite now - Ron "You're a ******" Keel. So funny I even got to read them to the wife who wondered why I was falling off the sofa in tears!

Anyway - I guess I have to admit mine.......

but I am not sure I should....

Comment

I saw Herbie Hancock at Newcastle city hall around 1999. I was really looking forward to it and paid quite a lot for the ticket and it was a complete let down. it was a tedious hour of watching a really old guy playing the glockenspiel and really wasn't what I was expecting at all. most people left really quickly and Im ashamed to say I made a quick getaway too. Poor Herb.

Comment

Omg I saw Sam Fox at Isle of Wight last year - shockingly bad!!!!!! ( didn't want to see her, was staking a claim for a good view for the next act up, which was either Alison Moyet or Selecter if I remember rightly)
            Last edited by mazzer; 18-08-2015, 18:54. Reason: Typo!

Comment

Steps tribute band!!! Do I win?
              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteChristmas View Post
                My first gig was in the mid 70s; the Wombles at our local YMCA.
                Possibly the most fitting DoYouRemember statement I have ever read !

Originally posted by Retrogames View Post
                Erasure back in about 89? I'm not sure if they are remembered fondly or seen as cheesy nowadays- I wouldnt put them on a 'best of the 80s' compilation though.
                Vince Clark is a musical genius.

Originally posted by Littlelen View Post
                I saw Herbie Hancock at Newcastle city hall around 1999. I was really looking forward to it and paid quite a lot for the ticket and it was a complete let down. it was a tedious hour of watching a really old guy playing the glockenspiel
                Herbie can play a few instruments, but i'm fairly sure that the glockenspiel isn't one of them.

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                Steps tribute band!!! Do I win?
                Yes !

Comment

Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
                  X