Old Newbie...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Newbie...

By the mid 70's I was heading for university, with many toys already behind me. But I rediscovered boardgames in the early 8O's
    starting with "The Awful Green Things from Outer Space"
    The Awful Green Things from Outer Space | BoardGameGeek

and "Survive" (a misnomer of a title if there ever was one.)
    Survive! | BoardGameGeek
    That was re-worked into "Escape From Atlantis"
    Escape from Atlantis | BoardGameGeek
    but I always preferred the original, despite all the nice bits in the later versions.

And then came the nostalgia for both the boardgames I had as a kid, and the ones I never did. Now, with the internet and eBay, hunting down some is possible. But some remain elusive.

I look forward to sharing memories and enthusiasms.
    Emettman? Well that's another interest or obsession.
    You can get there via my profile if you really want to know!
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Re: Old Newbie...

Welcome to DYR
    Heather

Comment

great to have you on board Emettman!

I love board games too, though - unlike when I was a kid in the 70's - it's hard to find players!

I also played the 'cut-out' ones from my comics...usually collected over 4 issues, you then had to cut out all the playing cards/tokens too....though because everything was paper, any time anyone so much as breathed towards the game, the pieces were scattered! And if a door was opened or closed nearby, well, the draught caused complete wipe-out!

(other downside to this was it decimated my comics :cry:....along with all the other fab stuff to cut-out, I have stories I can't go back & read now as there's gaping holes in them )

ohh yes love your railways...bet the kids in the hospital loved the one you built for them. There's something about model railways I've always loved (I think its 'miniature' in general (I also love model villages at the seaside....there's lovely ones at Skegness, and at Hornsea Pottery). My metalwork teacher at comp late 70's made the most incredible steam locos for his garden railway.

Dave
      sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Hi Emettman .

Comment

Hi Emettman! I live in Cornwall too. Welcome.
          sigpic
          'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Working...
          X