space hoppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• space hoppers

hi everyone does anyone remember space hoppers?, i had an orange one i used to bounce for hours on mine,lol,

Re: space hoppers

I think I may of told this story before but what the hey....

My biggest memory of Space Hoppers is being in a race at Butlins, I was miles out in front, decided to turn my head around to see where the others were and slipped, got striaght back on just as the girl in second place went whizzing by :cry:
    Moral of the story "Dont look back keep plodding on"

My Sister did have one too we use to play up and down the drive way on, hours of fun
    Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
      I think I may of told this story before but what the hey....

My biggest memory of Space Hoppers is being in a race at Butlins, I was miles out in front, decided to turn my head around to see where the others were and slipped, got striaght back on just as the girl in second place went whizzing by :cry:
      Moral of the story "Dont look back keep plodding on"

My Sister did have one too we use to play up and down the drive way on, hours of fun
      hi, i used to bounce up and down our garden path, with my sister it was fun, yes you should never turn around with you are having a bounce, lol,

Comment

Originally posted by miss grazelda View Post
        yes you should never turn around with you are having a bounce, lol,
        ...or leave it next to the gas fire

Comment

...or be stupid enough to think all the lads are staring because they're envious that they didn't get one for their birthdays when in fact they're staring because your blouse buttons have come undone .

Comment

Originally posted by ClaudineJones View Post
            ...or be stupid enough to think all the lads are staring because they're envious that they didn't get one for their birthdays when in fact they're staring because your blouse buttons have come undone .
            Hi, lol, yes you are right there, my buttons did not come undone but i fall off my space hopper a few times, my dog used to chase me down to the garden path when i used to use mine, i think my dog wondered what it was,

Comment

Originally posted by ClaudineJones View Post
              ...or leave it next to the gas fire
              lol, yes,

Comment

Space Hoppers

It's easy to see why skateboards, rollerboots and BMX's were so popular among kids in the 70s, but space hoppers? For one, it seems a little odd to be bouncing up and down on a big orange rubber ball at the best of times, and considering it didn't help - but rather hinder - getting from A to B, it could be labelled a bit pointless. Nevertheless, the space hopper made a big impression in toy history...The space hopper (Hippity Hop in America) was invented by Italian, Aquilino Cosani in 1968, though he referred to it then as the Pon-Pon, and it was launched in Britain just as trance/rave culture was picking up speed. This may provide some explanation behind the trend, and space hoppers went on to make appearances at Glastonbury and Birmingham psychedelic trance parties well into the 90s.The earliest space hoppers were made of red or blue rubber, inflated via an internal valve system, reaching up to around 20 inches. These days though, adult versions are available too, enabling the children of the 70s to relive their bouncing glory days.

More...
                Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
                http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Comment

Re: Space Hoppers

Originally posted by remember View Post
                  but space hoppers? For one, it seems a little odd to be bouncing up and down on a big orange rubber ball at the best of times, and considering it didn't help - but rather hinder - getting from A to B, it could be labelled a bit pointless.
                  I don't think there's a red-blooded male anywhere who would agree with you that watching nubile young girls bouncing up and down on space hoppers was "a bit pointless"

Comment

Re: Space Hoppers

Originally posted by remember View Post
                    ...considering it didn't help - but rather hinder - getting from A to B...
                    This was certainly the problem I recall having. They took quite a lot of effort to 'ride' and I never really got the fun element that I'm sure was supposed to accompany the experience! Having said that, they are an iconic toy and one of many that produce happy memories for me of great times.

Comment

Comment

My sister had a Rupert the bear space hopper

Comment

Like this one?

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post

Saw a space hopper just like the one in the pic, brand spanking new for sale in a shop in Springfields Shopping Centre. Sorry to say I didn't ask the price but the originals were far larger than the one I bought for my daughter about 8 years ago.

Comment

Are you sure? I thought it was the other way around. I saw an original in Town a while back, and was shocked how tiny it was

Comment

Working...
                              X